• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vacation to italy

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm determined to make it happen this year, even if I have to go alone. Should I go in November, December, or January? I'm mainly going for the cultural and historic sites, so avoiding crowds would be a big plus. I'm intent on hitting-up Florence and Rome (a week in each) with day trips to pisa, naples, and perhaps pompeii. Venice is a big detour so I may avoid it since there isn't much there, aside from a bunch of canals.

I basically want to go when it's cheapest and the least crowded. That way I can spend more at Ugolini and Ambrosi and waste less time in lines.

And how early should I book? Will it make much difference beyond a couple months?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
we're actually going to be in Rome around Xmas time (then Paris and London afterwards)

I'd also be curious to hear any thoughts about Rome in the winter months...esp regarding historic sites as that is our main purpose while there.

FWIW, our hotel cost $102/nite for a 3-star

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My favorite time in Italy is December, but you also have to realize that there are a lot of holidays so things get done a bit slower. It is probably cheaper than during the summer, but I cannot be sure of that.

I would skip Venice unless you are with a woman who is actually giving you some. Regardless, avoid Venice in January as it is completely closed.

GS-

We are going to be in Naples over New Years and London after. You will have a lot of fun.

We spent our honeymoon in Rome during winter. It was perfect save for a little rain. It is much nicer than in summer when you are all sweaty and don't want to walk much. All the historic sites should be open except for on actual holidays. Obviously the more public ones and religious ones will still be open regardless.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"avoid Venice in January as it is completely closed." Closed how?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
like Milan in August.

Oh , I see. I was thinking Venice in a Winter could be quite haunting and special. I would love to experienece empty streets of Venice.
It must be just as amazing as being alone in a museum like Versales or Hermitage.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Oh , I see. I was thinking Venice in a Winter could be quite haunting and special. I would love to experienece empty streets of Venice.
It must be just as amazing as being alone in a museum like Versales or Hermitage.

Go between Christmas and New Years. I was visiting a friend in Trieste one year during that time and we went over for the day. Venice was dead. Cold and empty. It did not make me want to return. Give me Palermo instead.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We went just after Christmas. Comparatively empty, but the acqua alta pushed all tourists up on these elevated walkways that made for extremely congested strolling. Luckily, our hotel provided us w/ nice wellies & hippers so we were able to splash through the 4-5 inches of water w/ the locals. The four days was very enjoyable, if a little chilly. From what I've heard, August is awful w/ crowds & stinky canals...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So the basic consensus is December. December it is then. That's a long ways off but at least it gives me something to look forward to and plenty of time to save money for clothing expenditures. ^_^ How did you find it, travel agent or online? And if we're in Italy around the same time, maybe we can make the trip to Ugolini or Ambrosi together. ;p

Maybe if we're all there around the same time we could meet-up for drinks or something. I was planning on two weeks but if hotels are that cheap around that time I may just stretch it to three.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"From what I've heard, August is awful w/ crowds & stinky canals..."

Crowds may be. Although Venice is so large that you could always find yourself almost alone. Stinky? Venice canals are never stinky. It is a myth.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
like Milan in August.

The Milanese are on Sardegna in August. I think September is a great time as well..

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd go in january

i go to geneva every january and usually tag on a trip to somewhere in italy in january (roma, firenze, milano the most recent january italy trips) and have not had any problems with weather (it's a bit chilly at night but decent with a heavy sweater or light jacket during the day --- and you don't have overcrowding at tourist spots

everything is generally open and i just find it completely different from june trips to italy when it's hot and muggy and so overcrowded with tourists you can't enjoy anything

nothing like going to the forum in roma in january at the start of the day and having the entire ruins to yourself ......

as for gqgeek - for booking, i've booked my flights the day or two before or after new year's day for a trip in mid january and have paid very little for airfare, can usually an upgrade and hotel rooms are inexpensive

generally you need to book at least three weeks before the flight to get a good deal but i've been able to get a deal a week and half before a flight at times without worrying about three week rule

there is generally lots of availabilty for flights (the plane will usually be half empty) and you can usually get a premium hotel room/suite for less than what you'd pay for a basic room in the summer time

and there are generally some sort of sales going on in january as well for shopping

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes
i'd go in january

i go to geneva every january and usually tag on a trip to somewhere in italy in january (roma, firenze, milano the most recent january italy trips) and have not had any problems with weather (it's a bit chilly at night but decent with a heavy sweater or light jacket during the day --- and you don't have overcrowding at tourist spots

everything is generally open and i just find it completely different from june trips to italy when it's hot and muggy and so overcrowded with tourists you can't enjoy anything

nothing like going to the forum in roma in january at the start of the day and having the entire ruins to yourself ......

as for gqgeek - for booking, i've booked my flights the day or two before or after new year's day for a trip in mid january and have paid very little for airfare, can usually an upgrade and hotel rooms are inexpensive

generally you need to book at least three weeks before the flight to get a good deal but i've been able to get a deal a week and half before a flight at times without worrying about three week rule

there is generally lots of availabilty for flights (the plane will usually be half empty) and you can usually get a premium hotel room/suite for less than what you'd pay for a basic room in the summer time

and there are generally some sort of sales going on in january as well for shopping

I see you're in canada. Where do you fly out from and how much are you typically paying for airfare when you book after new years?

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i fly out of detroit as it's 30 minutes from my house as opposed to toronto which is 3.5 hours away

i've paid anywhere from CAN$350 - 500 for booking around new years but i'd say the average would be $500 range (perhaps i'm just lucky but given the planes are so damn empty, there is always a bargain to be found that time of year)

british airways connecting in london is my usual choice or northwest via amsterdam is okay (modern airbus planes at least from detroit) ...... detroit also offers air france connecting in paris and lufthansa connecting in frankfurt

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes
i fly out of detroit as it's 30 minutes from my house as opposed to toronto which is 3.5 hours away

i've paid anywhere from CAN$350 - 500 for booking around new years but i'd say the average would be $500 range (perhaps i'm just lucky but given the planes are so damn empty, there is always a bargain to be found that time of year)

british airways connecting in london is my usual choice or northwest via amsterdam is okay (modern airbus planes at least from detroit) ...... detroit also offers air france connecting in paris and lufthansa connecting in frankfurt

Great info. Thanks Hermes. I'll definitely wait until the last minute to book then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads