• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vacation ideas? Greece or possible somewhere else

brittain

Reaction score
I'm planning on cashing in on some skymiles and HHonors points in June to take advantage of a free vacation to Greece. Anyone have any recommendations on where to visit, what beaches are best, restaurants worth trying, etc? At this point Im just beginning to research the idea so my itinerary is pretty flexible. The intent is to have a relaxing week with my girlfriend but I dont need total isolation so touristy spots are acceptable.

Alternatively, since my plane tickets and hotel will be free, I am open to other suggestions. I originally considered Thailand but it was blacked out.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pinchi22
Santorini!

All that needs to be said really.

Add Spetses as well if time allows it.

Modernist

Reaction score
What do you want to do? Go sightseeing? Relax? Clubbing? Food?

By the by, June is the best month to visit Greece. It's summer, but most of the resorts aren't crowded. Most Greeks and tourists go on vacation here on August.

Santorini is actually a good suggestion for June. Afterward it becomes too crowded. Remember to have some Vinsanto (sweet red wine) and try the dried tomatoes. If you plan on renting a car, also Crete is great. You'll probably want to stay on the northern part of the island, since most of the hotels are there, but the best beaches are to the south, facing Africa. Long, sandy beaches, with noone in sight for hundreds of meters. And the sea is amazing. Just avoid Chersonisos. It's swarmed by chavs.

A more alternative suggestion is Koufonisi. It's a small island with amazing beaches. You can probably walk around it in 2-3 hours, but it is a great place to go and relax. It has some bars and a couple of small clubs, so there is some night life. Food is decent, too, especially if you enjoy fish. And just across is Mikro Koufonisi (smaller). There is a shuttle boat that can get you across to a beach there. It's magic.

Modernist

Reaction score
There is also Andros (beautiful architecture and scenery, a surprisingly nice modern art museum, a donation of the Goulandris family - shipping tycoons), Patmos.

Also the Ionian islands. I actually prefer them to the Aegean. Deeper, cooler seas, with an amazing turquoise colour, long sand beaches, pine forests. They have a certain Italian vibe to them, as they were occupied by the Venetians while the rest of Greece was occupied by the Turks.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I have been to is Ios. We planned to move around but stayed there for 3 weeks. Depends what you are looking for but it was very cheap and fun for a younger, or young at heart crowd.

elite123

Reaction score
Brittain - hey I'm also in Arlington and headed to Greece (although one month earlier than you in May)

Modernist - Is Santorini also good in May? I'll be there during the first and second weeks of the month and looking for the best places during that time of the year. I'll be heading with a friend and have a completely open schedule. Any other places I should check out? (I've heard the Palace at Knossus is a must-see)

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Modernist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elite123
Brittain - hey I'm also in Arlington and headed to Greece (although one month earlier than you in May) Modernist - Is Santorini also good in May? I'll be there during the first and second weeks of the month and looking for the best places during that time of the year. I'll be heading with a friend and have a completely open schedule. Any other places I should check out? (I've heard the Palace at Knossus is a must-see)
May is good also. IMO, August is not a good month, unless you have no alternative to have a leave earlier. Way too many tourists and people on leave during late July and August. If you have even a small interest in history, combining Herakleion in Crete (Knossus is a few kms south of Herakleion) and Santorini is great. I would allocate one week to each. When in Crete, see if you can rent a car. It's a large island (3rd largest in the Mediterrenean), and you'll miss a lot without a car. You must visit the southern beaches. A nice day's excursion is to drive to Knossos, then Phaistos (the second most important minoan city after Knossos) and then for a swim at Matala. Herakleion is nice, a more modern city, with a large student population. But Chania is nicer, more colourful. Also cretan cuisine is one of the best in Greece. The locals are great, but you should behave respectfully. They are extremely proud, quick to friendship and anger. If you get to know anyone and be offered raki (aka tsikoudia, a strong white spirit like grappa) or invited to eat, absolutely do not refuse. Besides missing on some great food experience, you would probably gravely offend them. When driving and going inland, in Crete you'll notice that a lot of the road signs have been shot at (sic!). Closer to the sea the holes are bigger (that's shooting guns). Up in the mountains the holes are smaller and arranged in clusters - that's AK 74s!

elite123

Reaction score
KObalto - great website!

Modernist -

Thanks for the excellent travel ideas. I'll make sure to devote a good chunk of time to Crete. As far as dressing for the weather I was looking to pack mostly short sleeve shirts and light pants with also a light jacket and a thinner sweater. Will it be too hot or am I packing right?

Modernist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elite123
KObalto - great website!

Modernist -

Thanks for the excellent travel ideas. I'll make sure to devote a good chunk of time to Crete. As far as dressing for the weather I was looking to pack mostly short sleeve shirts and light pants with also a light jacket and a thinner sweater. Will it be too hot or am I packing right?

Just great. It's early May. I think in Crete the temperature will probably have risen to high 20s, low 30s Celsius by then. But it will be somewhat chilly in the evening, so perhaps one more thinner sweater or cardigan, or a harrington will be nice. And I wouldn't bring more than one pair of leather soled shoes, if any at all. Driving shoes or smart sneakers will serve you better. Also, there are some wonderful treks in Crete. Canyons and mountain trails. If you plan on going to any of them, you'll need something appropriate for shoes.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greece is very "touristy". If you'll be in that part of the Mediterranean and you've never been, try Sicily. It's the largest island in the Mediterranean and fortunately, not well explored by tourists. The cuisine is phenomenal and Sicily is also rich in history. You can visit Agrigento, Siracusa, Mt. Etna, Segesta, Taormina, Masala and Palermo to name a few. You can take a quick plane ride south to the island of Malta and spend a couple of days there.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I take it you won't be exploring the city too much. But if you do, make sure to go to Kolonaki. Great cafes. Shops aren't bad either. And though touristy, I don't think you should miss the default tourist destinations -- though Syndagma often gets crowded. And you might want to avoid downtown Monasteraki unless you like Peruvian flute-bands. ^_^

And go to The Mall. Mind you, these are personal preferences. Islands for the win though!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads