• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

V neck Sweaters

Walker44

Reaction score
Hello gents,

I've been on the hunt recently for some V neck sweaters which don't look baggy or start billowing like crazy on the waist area.
I've tried a lot of brands available in the Uk starting with
T.M Lewin ,
Charles Tyrwhitt ,
Hawes & Curtis ,
Brooks Brothers ,
Uniqlo,
J. Crew,
John Smedley,
Sunspel,
Reis,
Massimo Dutti,
and the fashion forward sweaters you find in places like John Lewis ,Zara, H&M, Gap and the list goes on

I'm 6.1 feet tall and weight in 187 lbs so I'm fairly slim I would say.

Apart from J.Crew and John Smedley all the other sweaters looked badly on me.
I've attached below some photos with both sweaters because I've got a couple of questions to ask and I couldn't find answers nowhere to those questions.

I know merino wool by nature it's a soft and thin material but I can't stand seeing the buttons of a dress shirt through the sweater whenever I'm layering one over my shirts.

How are you dealing with this problem? I'm just asking because whenever I search for V neck sweaters across Google all the guys wearing them over a dress shirt don't seem to have this "problem" (they can't be all photoshoped...)

My second question would be if you've got other brands sugestion I should look for? (My budget would be somewhere around 150£ for a sweater ,slim fit ,probably merino wool - quality Cashmere it's really out of my current budget) J crew F.JPG J crew.JPG John Smedley Back.JPG John smedley F.JPG John Smedley.JPG

If there is one thing which I don't like about the J. Crew one it's the deep V neck which seems to be something common across many brands. I would rather prefer a high V neck like the one on the black sweater.

P.s No, I won't be wearing V necks with the collar all buttoned up without throwing a tie. The whole purpose on buttoning the collar in the photos above was to see if the V neck of the sweaters lays nicely on top of the collar without leaving any gaps.

fazalmajid

Reaction score
Out of your brands, I'd only consider John Smedley and possibly Sunspel. All the others are going to be overpriced made in China crud.

You can go through this epic thread:

I myself recently purchased this William Lockie lambswool sweater, made in Scotland:
in fact I'm wearing it right now and despite the recent cold spell in the UK, it's very warm.

You could also look at lambswool or cashmere sweaters by Bosie, Hawico and other brands still made in Scotland, but beware of poseurs. Classic French-made Breton fisherman's sweaters with buttons on the shoulder like Armor-Lux or St James are also made for thinner frames and quite smart.

Quality sweaters are surprisingly durable. I still have mid-90s Pringle lambswool and cashmere sweaters (back when they were still made in Scotland) that look good as new.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can see your shirt buttons through your sweaters, perhaps your sweaters are too small. The black sweater looks too tight from your photos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads