• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

usual newbie thread...economic raw denim

mister_h0t_d0g

Reaction score
So, having started to get interested in this raw denim thing, but on a tight budget, I'm open to suggestions on anything under 70 bucks. I prefer tighter, slim fits, skinny if possible. I've looked at cheap mondays, and they're a possibility, but the stretch idea is a bit iffy for me. I've tried on the BDGs at urban and the fit wasn't very good, but if I could find a smaller waist then they could work, but I've heard they're one-wash? I also tried on the Levi's 514s, and they could be a possibility, but, as I said, any suggestions are welcome...

Usually wear a 28-30 waist, for what that's worth.

danke schoen

bk

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Save your money and buy APCs at 112. It's a waste of $70 if you're buying below APC price points IMO unless you snag something in the B&S forum.

Max

Reaction score
H&M has a decent offering for $40. I like them, but they're not superawesomefabulous. Cheap monday offers a bunch of different cuts in addition to their stretchy skinny jeans.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
RRLs on ebay. Get ACTUAL measurements from the seller first.
Are you supposed to size those down at all?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa

I would. They stretch like the proverbial female-parent copulators. At least the pair I had did that...

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
I matched my true waist to actual measured for one and then went half an inch short on the other. The true has easily stretched out an inch-inch and a half since then. While it did fit exactly, they're much more comfortable to wear now that they're looser through the thighs/waist.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
From what i've gathered from other similar posts.

H&M Raw Sliqs(don't know if other cuts are in raw)
Levis 514 Rigid(someone said other cuts were in rigid too)
Levis 501 Shrink to Fit (rawish, lots of threads on those if you search a while back)
BDG 1wash from UrbanOutfitters (1 or 2 people here have them, they're a relatively slim cut compared to normal jeans if sized down 1. the 1 wash should give them a similar life and look to raw)
Cheap Monday has a variety of fits and washes such as raw. Googe search them and they're in a lot of online stores.

There are probably a few others.

weirdnjfan1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
H&M Raw Sliqs(don't know if other cuts are in raw)
H&M doesn't make raw denim any more. I think that if you look hard enough, you'll find some raw denim in department stores like Macy's or Penny's.

mister_h0t_d0g

Reaction score
yeah definitely checking out the rigid 514s at macy's tomorrow, if they have them...also maybe check urban to see if the BDGs come in smaller than a 30 there.

don't have money for APCs, couldn't justify 100+ bucks on one pair of jeans right now

was thinking the ebay route

cheap mondays seem like the best bet right now, actually, but i do want to try the 514s...

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Unless you don't have an ebay account or are buying from a sketchy seller, I don't see how you'd want to go Cheap Monday over RRL's considering you'd be paying probably more for less quality. I mean, why have hamburger when you can have steak?

I don't know how skinny you're talking about since the 514's aren't ball-huggers while the CM's certainly can be. I'd say the 514's are about as slim as the RRL slimcut only with a higher rise I'd imagine.

Spoony

Reaction score
Seriosuly consider RRLs over cheap mondays. Once you find a pair, they'll not only be cheap, but selvage, dry and raw. Also I think the rrl slimfit straightleg is slimmer than the 514.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
H&M doesn't make raw denim anymore? What the hell they were just about to open two stores down here!
Those H&M Sliqs would've been what I'd recommend but now you should probably take the first advice and save for APC's. No use getting jeans you don't like wearing.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the rationale in not spending for quality. You can't justify spending $100 on jeans but want to spend $70 on some POS cheap mondays? Just go to Gap and buy some $15 Goughs for some decent denim for a low price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads