• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USPS Delivery Times - WTF???

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what the F is going on at the moment with the USPS.

I bought some Universal Works Climbing Pants from the UK in early November and they still haven't arrived. There wasn't a tracking number but the company I bought them from has since given a refund as their policy is, "If it doesn't get to you in 30 days, we assume it's lost and you get your money back". This is all well and good but I really liked those F-ing trousers and I can't find my size anywhere now!!!

At the same time (within a couple of days), I had a letter sent to me from the the UK. It had a tracking number as it contained some important documents. That never arrived either. When I log onto the Royal Mail's website it says, "We have handed your item to the overseas postal service for delivery to the United States", and when I log onto the USPS website it says, "We have been informed by an overseas postal service to expect to receive an item for delivery within the United States". Basically both postal services are saying "we don't have your s**t".

I heard today that because of the recent bomb scare (from Yemen), all the mail is being held up at the US customs which is slowing down, and in some instances completely disrupting delivery times.

Does anyone have any info on this or experienced similar problems?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, i just had a minor version of that happen on something i bought on the bay. arrived three days past the estimate (inside US). worse, the tracking number kept showing only that a number had been requested, not that it had been shipped. didn't change until 2 hours before the package was actually delivered... then the whole chain showed up. weird.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ That happens when they dont scan it in at the point of entry if the label was prepaid. Very annoying to track, and tough for a seller to prove that they actually did sent it if it does get lost (happened to me). Thats why I always make sure that they scan all my prepaids in.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regular mail by USPS to overseas totally sucks. You need to go Priority or higher.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
^ That happens when they dont scan it in at the point of entry if the label was prepaid. Very annoying to track, and tough for a seller to prove that they actually did sent it if it does get lost (happened to me). Thats why I always make sure that they scan all my prepaids in.

thanks for that explanation Spoo. that makes sense.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All sounds interesting...

I've definitely had some of these issues - notably the no tracking information provided by USPS and the package just arriving. Also the whole slow mailing times to overseas from the US.

So no-ones heard about this whole "mail being held up because of Yemen" thing?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hoit1981
All sounds interesting...

I've definitely had some of these issues - notably the no tracking information provided by USPS and the package just arriving. Also the whole slow mailing times to overseas from the US.

So no-ones heard about this whole "mail being held up because of Yemen" thing?

No. But, as you know: Yemen = UK.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been having issues lately, too. I think because of the volume during the holidays. Worst thing about where I live is my local PO. I don't think they even try to deliver packages. Lately the line at the PO has been thick. People saying the tracking said notice left but they didn't get a notice.

Good thing I have my parcel carrier's cell number
biggrin.gif

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hoit1981
When I log onto the Royal Mail's website it says, "We have handed your item to the overseas postal service for delivery to the United States", and when I log onto the USPS website it says, "We have been informed by an overseas postal service to expect to receive an item for delivery within the United States". Basically both postal services are saying "we don't have your s**t".

This is amazing as I just sent a message to the seller of an item I bought from the UK and I am getting the EXACT same two messages you are. The UK says they handed it over to the US and the US says they are waiting for the UK to hand it over.

I am in the same boat as you since the item is insured and covered by Paypal/Ebay, but I want the damned item, not a refund! I was hoping to have it before Christmas as it was supposed to be a Christmas present for my mom, but at this point I will be happy, and relieved, if I just get it, whenever.

They say 'misery loves company,' well, you've got company!
devil.gif

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LatinStyleLover
This is amazing as I just sent a message to the seller of an item I bought from the UK and I am getting the EXACT same two messages you are. The UK says they handed it over to the US and the US says they are waiting for the UK to hand it over.

I'm in this same boat too -- bought one of those Scottish cashmere scarfs from a very popular Ebay seller, and she put it in Royal Mail Nov. 27. It's now Dec 16 and it's not here. I have the RM tracking info, but they just say they've passed it on to the US postal service. Can you get any info from the USPS based on an RM tracking #??

This is really annoying, eh?

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should be able to put the Royal Mail tracking number into the USPS website (if that's who it was passed to) and continue to track your item. I've certainly done that in the past.

I'm sorry you all are having problems too. I'm beginning to think there's a problem with the Royal Mail. I ordered something from Amazon.co.uk for my Niece who lives that side of the pond. It was dispatched on the 3rd, was meant to be delivered by the 10th. It's now the 16th and there's still no sign of it. Have sent an email to Amazon asking what the deal is but they haven't got back to me.

Apparently misery likes lots of company!
ffffuuuu.gif

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
I'm in this same boat too -- bought one of those Scottish cashmere scarfs from a very popular Ebay seller, and she put it in Royal Mail Nov. 27. It's now Dec 16 and it's not here. I have the RM tracking info, but they just say they've passed it on to the US postal service. Can you get any info from the USPS based on an RM tracking #??

This is really annoying, eh?

You can go to the USPS website to track it by using the RM tracking#. Its not always updated so ymmv. I had something sent from europe and the tracking info said it was at US Customs. It said that for weeks and continues to say that but received my package already. Go figure. I guess thats why they lose money.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2 weeks ago I sent something from chicago to NY, overnight, it took 2 days.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
You can go to the USPS website to track it by using the RM tracking#. Its not always updated so ymmv. I had something sent from europe and the tracking info said it was at US Customs. It said that for a weeks and continuesto say that but received my package already. Go figure. I guess thats why they lose money.

IME the tracking info gets updated either the day it's out for delivery or after it has been delivered (attempted). Sucks, but at least you've got something to go by.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads