• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Using suit hangers for hanging shirts - overkill?

rgoldstein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
These are all terrible suggestions. You need men in your exact size to wear each of your shirts. From my experience, a daily diet of water and rye will ensure that they won't emit any body oder. If you feed them anything else, your shirts will be ruined. Make sure they don't lean on anything either, as that will crush the cotton fibers. If you're interested, PM me. I have a guy that supplies me all of my people.

End Human Trafficking!

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I like wood hangers, but use a shirt hanger. Plastic hangers just make your closet look terrible, if you want the collar to stay nice just make sure to leave enough room between each hanger on the rack that your collar doesnt get squashed.
Having my collars flattened (and having to perpetually & carefully space out my dozens of dress shirts to prevent it) eventually got to me and I came up with a solution, which is to alternate the hangers (I use thick plastic ones) with thick shower curtain hooks on my hanging bar. (N.B. I'm not sure if this would work with wooden hangers because the metal hook at the top is so thin the shirts would still be quite close together even with spacing from the shower curtain fasteners). The ones I use are like those at top-right in the photo below, and I actually think they make my closet look better than it did without them because my shirts are always perfectly(!) spaced.
showerhooks-large.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I clear out all of the shirts I dont wear after 1 year or dont plan to wear in the future, which also helps cut down on the clutter.

kimmo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
These. Then your shirts will hold their shape PERFECTLY!

Seriously though, just use the cheap wood hangers from IKEA. They're like 8 for $3. Works just fine:

Ikea-Wooden-Hangers_030FA420.jpg

myke

I have yet to find an IKEA hanger set, which wouldn't need re-finishing: usually a few of the pack have sharp edges/unground corners etc etc, so I've passed them.

I've resorted to plastic, wider hangers to keep the collars straighter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads