• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Using Richard Lim custom tailor (Los Angeles) -- What to look for?

coolal

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm posting a similar request in AAAC (AskAndyAboutClothes), however, I value the input of this forum just as much and thought to post my question here as well.

After searching these forums I was able to find Richard Lim of the shop "High Society" on Wilshire Blvd. in Korea Town, Los Angeles.

I picked some super 130 cashmere and wool blend suiting with a mini shadow box check from International Silk and Woolens as well as some white shirting and vintage white silk lining.

I'm getting the sport coat in the continental style, with raised / slightly smaller arm holes, 2 buttons, double vents, tuck in flaps, skinnier lapel with notches, higher gorge, 4 functional button holes on the sleeves and exposed hand stitching around the lapel and down the front of the suit.

I'm curious as to what I should be looking out for? What are some indicators of quality and care? I'm not looking for pass fail indicators as much as I am sliding scale indicators. Things that show the level of quality.

I will certainly post pictures when I pick it up on monday the 12th so i'm also curious as to what kind of shots i should be taking.

Thanks for your input, i'm 23 and i've just started getting into formal wear when I already thought i was a good dresser. Seems Los Angeles has gotten far far too casual and my high fashion ideals were completely jaded
confused.gif

-Alex

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard Lim delivers good value for the money and that he is the most respected of the Korean tailors in the Greater Los Angeles area.

Would you care to tell us what he is charging for this?

If it is a reasonably good fit (it's probably unfair to expect perfection on a first bespoke job) and there is nothing egregiously offensive to your eye about the workmanship, you probably should be well satisfied.

coolal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I've heard Lim delivers good value for the money and that he is the most respected of the Korean tailors in the Greater Los Angeles area. Would you care to tell us what he is charging for this? If it is a reasonably good fit (it's probably unfair to expect perfection on a first bespoke job) and there is nothing egregiously offensive to your eye about the workmanship, you probably should be well satisfied.
The CMT (Cut / Make / Trim) rate for Richard Lim was $150 for the shirt and $480 for the sport coat + $20 for hand stitched finishing +$15 for working buttonholes. I already had the basted fitting this past Monday and the jacket was already fitting like a dream. -Alex

coolal

Reaction score
CMT does not include fabric. I bought my own with those rates.

coolal

Reaction score
To provide some additional clarification: I'm looking for advice on the little things that tailors do that show their devotion to quality.

From the intense reading i've done in the past month or so, something as small as how far away the stiching is from the edge of a seam can mean a lot.

I'm still on the hunt for the right terminology to describe fit and drape. If anyone can illuminate that topic, that would be amazing.

The endless debate of full / half canvasing and fusing obviously shows concern for methods; I'm curious if that extends to the true finishing details.

-Alex

coolal

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has any anecdotes about the details that have driven bespoke / custom tailoring to an art form.

For those of you with bespoke clothing or a great knowledge in them, what are the touches that launch it an art form?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads