• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Using leather balsam on leather gloves

Coater

Reaction score
So, yesterday I bought some leather balsam called "Hitline Universal Lederbalsam". It's German stuff. Supposed to be applied on leather and then buffed off after like 5 minutes.

So, today, I applied some to the gloves by hand, rubbing it well. Let them stand for 10 minutes and then started buffing the stuff off. The gloves were a bit sticky after that, but the leather feels softer and there's not much cracking anymore. So, will the stickiness go away as the glove eventually absorbs the balsam? Or should I do something about it?

Anyone else have any experience of this?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't believe leather balsam is intended for soft leather gloves. It's mostly lanolin and beeswax, right? Thought it was more for saddle leathers, tack etc

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's about to find out.

Coater

Reaction score
Ohh, that's what the salesman recommended for me, when I asked if he has some good leather care products that would be good for leather gloves. And the can also says it can be used on jackets, shoes, gloves, pants etc.

Contains "nature fat", oils, caresubstrate and beeswax.

Coater

Reaction score
Now my gloves aren't sticky anymore(was away from home for a couple days, dunno how long it actually took for them to dry up) and they are better than ever. So soft, less cracky and so on.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coater
So, yesterday I bought some leather balsam called "Hitline Universal Lederbalsam". It's German stuff. Supposed to be applied on leather and then buffed off after like 5 minutes.

So, today, I applied some to the gloves by hand, rubbing it well. Let them stand for 10 minutes and then started buffing the stuff off. The gloves were a bit sticky after that, but the leather feels softer and there's not much cracking anymore. So, will the stickiness go away as the glove eventually absorbs the balsam? Or should I do something about it?

Anyone else have any experience of this?

Not used this product, but I've used Lord Sheraton Leather balsam on gloves, and the stickiness went having left them overnight. seems to work well on all leather goods.

bing

Reaction score
can you describe how you cleaned the gloves prior to applying the balsam stuff?

I have to do this

Coater

Reaction score
Well, the gloves weren't really dirty. No stains or anything. I just wiped it with a small cloth to get some dust off.

luv2dance

Reaction score
Collonil leather gel is also great for this and it very versatile since it cleans nourishes and protects. I use it on most of my leather goods.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bick4 is also very good on gloves.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meltonian used to make a product called Glove Cream, not sure if they still do.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 8 9.0%