• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Using Clothing As Coping Mechanism

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I don't know if any of you have had similar experiences over the years, but I fear that I'm currently using clothing as a coping mechanism to deal with a lot of other crap I'm facing in my life (just finished my Master's degree, but have no idea what comes next). In doing so, I've created a year-long clothing plan, which includes 7 sports jackets, cords, chinos, Barbour jackets, more Loakes/Meermins, etc. I know how stupid it sounds, but I'm looking forward to this time next year once it's done so that, no matter what happens in life going forward, I'll at least be able to put together some badass outfits. Honestly, I don't know how to get out of this ridiculous obsession. What's your advice? How have you dealt with similar conundrums?

isealbz

Reaction score
It sounds like you regard being stylish as a hobby. As far as I can tell, it is not unreasonable to set hobby-related goals that involve spending money. For example, some musicians rely on music as a coping mechanism. However, producing music requires musical equipment. As a result, some musicians set goals with respect to the equipment that they plan to acquire in the near future. Is that unreasonable or unhealthy? So long as it doesn't interfere with anything else that is important, I don't see how. I suspect that it seems more unreasonable or unhealthy to plan out a wardrobe simply because it is less common to think of being stylish as a hobby.

On the other hand, regardless of the hobby, when spending money on that hobby begins to interfere with other important goals, then it may be unreasonable and/or unhealthy. For example, being an unemployed (post-)graduate student can be financially taxing. So, it might not be a great idea for such a person to spend a ton of money on clothing that he or she doesn't really need. Hell, some moral philosophers (e.g., Peter Singer) argue that it is downright morally wrong to spend money on things that we don't really need, regardless of how reasonable or healthy it is.

I'm a PhD student myself, and I don't have much money to spend on musical equipment or clothes! I'd rather put that money into other things that are more important to me at this time (e.g., traveling for conferences). That's just me though. If I had more money, I'd spend more money on those kinds of things.

The nice thing about certain high quality wardrobe items is that they can last quite a while. So spending money on them is an investment that pays off in the future. That isn't true for purchases that people frequently make on food, alcohol, and low-brow entertainment.

Last edited:

Anachronist

Reaction score
Don't we all have this problem in this forum and this is what's all about, this meeting of anonymous sartorial junkies :D

Joke aside, I have asked myself the same question and have to admit that there is both an upside and downside to this dilemma (and I acknowledge it as a real one!): on the one hand, this self gratification can indeed be very entertaining and educational (the amount of knowledge you can glean from sources like this forum is immense) with the potential side effect that with a change to better attire you actually feel better and (if you believe in systemic psychology) you consequently have a more positive impact on your surroundings, thereby changing things to the better.

The hook however is that there is a serious risk of becoming a shopaholic and I'm not kidding here. If your happiness depends on the regular "consumption" of clothes and this becomes all in your life, it's time to rethink. Some people have successfully turned such an addiction (and this is precisely what it is) from a hobby into a successful means of living (see SpooPoker for example), but this requires a significant shift from focusing on self gratification to the desire to make a business out of your passion and this easier said than done, because the shift entails asking yourself what would excite other people and not just you (you see the shift from focusing on ones self to focusing on others)... this can help "heal" the root cause.

However, as long as the self gratification stays within limits, especially within those of your surplus or expendable income and it's not th only joy in your life, don't worry and just live in good health happily ever after. We all enjoy and deserve treating ourselves to good things... that's what money is there for ;)

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barbour jackets you say? I can hook you up. :D

megabiscoito

Reaction score
I have the inverse problem. Very young I had a passion about fashion and due to my demanding student life I think I putted this pleasure aside.

Now I feel bad about it and I think it reflects in my self confidence, since I discovered is something that is part of me and somehow I neglected it.

So since you are setting a wardrobe for next year I would like to ask you, how that is done?

Can you help me doing the same? Setting a wardrobe?

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Well, who is to judge? Those who claim at gunpoint that we have to call them a "zee"? The racists who say only white is right? Or the drunks in your local bar? At least you are not hurting anyone with your little hobby (or game, or fantasy, or whatever it is). With such a gentle hobby I even think you are a pleasant chap who simply copes. Whatever it is you cope with, I hope it goes away soon so that you can focus on bigger things in life.

Two memories ran through my head that evidence how vulnerable, at times, some of us are. Here is the more benign one:

About six months ago I and my wife decided to treat a friend to his favorite restaurant in Prague. The dinner was fine, and at about half past nine, the bill arrived. I looked at it and instead of being grateful for the good time I had with my wife and a friend who once helped me, the thought that asserted itself as dominant was "There go the splendid Cucinelli pants I saw two days ago at an advantageous price."

I am too ashamed to relate the other one.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with improving your wardrobe and sense of style. But, I think it's fair to say, once you go down this road - you're not going to stop after a year or two. About 10 years ago, I started turning my wardrobe and style around. Part of it was... "I'm tired of buying new shoes every 2 years, I'm going to buy 2 high quality pairs of shoes so they last me a decade". Well, it's 10 years later and 14 pairs of high quality shoes and boots later. More shirts than I care to admit to, 4 sports coats, a suit, 2 optimo hats, an Aquascutum trench, custom Aero leather jacket, custom overcoat, a stick umbrella, several pairs of dents gloves. So, let me say - spend only what you can afford to spend - if you can't pay cash for it (or pay the credit card bill off at the end of the month) you don't buy it. If you can, great. But don't delude yourself into thinking you're only going to do this for a year and then quit the habit :-D

Anachronist

Reaction score
Geez, johng70, I think we could be brothers... what you nicely described is precisely what happened to me as well and your wardrobe sounds quite similar to what I've accumulated ;)

The good thing is, I can blame it on my father... he always told me that he is too poor to afford cheap clothes :D

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect lots of our stories are similar. I'd like to pass some blame around to this forum too, while we're at it. Coming here is not conducive to keeping the habit in check! The one bright spot is my wife has now come around. We were in Chicago getting fitted for my Optimo and the woman mentioned Leffot shoe store was just a couple doors down. My wife said, "we should go look". Which led to me trying on Alden #8 Longwings which she liked and told me "$750 isn't too much". I do love that woman :) Now, if I can just get her to buy them for me next time :bounce2:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics