• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Using chairs to hold parking spaces

InsBrokerTX

Reaction score
Staking claim to public property is ludicrous. The parking spot is yours to use while you are parked there. Holding your spot with a chair is assinine.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lost it this morning and chucked five chairs. Our last substantial snowfall was a full ******* week ago. I don't care if you dug the space out with a spoon, melted the remaining ice with a blow-dryer, and used a sham-wow to remove the remaining water. That **** is public property.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
ie never heard of this before in my life. lol wtf?

+1

Makes no sense at all. If you dig out a space on a public street, use it. If you drive away, it's fair game. There is no private ownership of public spaces, only private use while you are there.

Think about it this way - while strangers may use the space you dug out if you're not there, you may end up using a space someone else dug out. The only free riders out there are the ones who don't do any work, but you have those in every society.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I lost it this morning and chucked five chairs. Our last substantial snowfall was a full ******* week ago. I don't care if you dug the space out with a spoon, melted the remaining ice with a blow-dryer, and used a sham-wow to remove the remaining water. That **** is public property.

I approve.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius
I think people should be ticketed for leaving chairs in the street, the same way people get ticketed for any type of garbage.
That thing is commonly done on the south of Europe as well.
frown.gif

Brogued

Reaction score
My street looks like a flea market right now. I might go offer 75 cents for the Big Wheel somebody's using to hold their space.

TheSauceBoss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
I have also never hear do this. And the snow beside driveways is literally about 6 feet where I live now, so not because of a lack of snow. Also, we rarely get residential streets cleared. I just don't see it. I have never had the need to dig out a parking spot.

I did

TheSauceBoss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrazyJew
.... agree with the chair thing. If you're gonna put your back into clearing an entire spot to park in, you better ******* get dibs on it.
So what you are saying is that when I finally get home in a blizzard and see a spot with a chair in it I am supposed to drive past it and continue looking for an empty spot? I don't think so. I can appreciate the shoveling to get your car out for whatever reason, but the second you drive away, that spot is up for grabs.

paco_deluca

Reaction score
if it ever snows here in houston, i am putting chairs out to save my spot.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever happened to "giving back to the community"?

Made in California

Reaction score
Answer: live where it doesn't snow. But really, if you're worried about getting keyed, chuck chairs and don't park there. This way you don't get keyed and they lose their spot.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I approve of this practice. Still where I live there are not enough spots for cars on a regular day so when heavy snowfall comes around you are going to clear out your car and lay claim to that spot which is normally in front of your house. It took me two days to get my car out of its spot because of weak tires and ice but then again I rarely park in front of my house lack of spots so I park in the back of a strip mall behind my place. So obviously I didn't lay claim to that spot in front of my house and let someone take it but I would never take someone elses spot especially after they worked so hard to get their **** out for work or what not. In the suburbs I can't imagine seeing this but in the city, no one wants to park 4 blocks from their doorstep when they always park in front of their home.

Big T

Reaction score
In my neck of the woods (rural PA), chairs are only left out on the street to hold a "sitting" place for the local fireman's day parade. We'uns all have big 4 wheel drive trucks that don't need no snow plowed.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you ass holes who live in the snow should take a stack of papers which say "FREE STUFF" and tape them onto whatever **** is sitting in the parking spaces.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads