• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Using chairs to hold parking spaces

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 5, 2010
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
135
I understand that a lot of labor goes into digging out a parking space, and that the placeholders are used to guarantee the person who did the work a place to park. That's said, if it's been more than two to three days since the last snowfall, you lose those rights. Also, If you're holding a space, but haven't shoveled your sidewalk, I'm moving your chair.
 

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2007
Messages
5,182
Reaction score
445
I think people should be ticketed for leaving chairs in the street, the same way people get ticketed for any type of garbage.
 

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
1,033
Reaction score
15
Originally Posted by gladhands
I understand that a lot of labor goes into digging out a parking space, and that the placeholders are used to guarantee the person who did the work a place to park. That's said, if it's been more than two to three days since the last snowfall, you lose those rights. Also, If you're holding a space, but haven't shoveled your sidewalk, I'm moving your chair.

You must live in Southie. Good luck with moving someone's placeholder. My advice is to get drunk and then go up and down your street and throw them all away. Moving someone's placeholder and then parking your car (especially if it is foreign) there is an open invitation to get: keyed, tires slashed, or the best I have heard is they just cover your car with snow.
 

Brogued

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2009
Messages
322
Reaction score
0
I certainly agree with what you're saying. It's hard to reason with the unreasonable, though. I've seen some ugly consequences of chair removal.
 

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
30,530
Reaction score
6,157
wait, so dudes will put a chair in a parking spot on the street?

Fuck your cities suck.
 

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 25, 2008
Messages
12,314
Reaction score
4,613
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
wait, so dudes will put a chair in a parking spot on the street?

Fuck your cities suck.


I can't believe I'm actually typing this, but I agree with Ed - this is ridiculous. I've heard of people doing such things, but I didn't realize it was widespread. What a stupid, stupid practice.
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
19,765
Reaction score
2,700
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
wait, so dudes will put a chair in a parking spot on the street?

Fuck your cities suck.


+1. I would have a collection of chairs in my basement!!!
 

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 5, 2010
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
135
Originally Posted by pscolari
You must live in Southie. Good luck with moving someone's placeholder. My advice is to get drunk and then go up and down your street and throw them all away. Moving someone's placeholder and then parking your car (especially if it is foreign) there is an open invitation to get: keyed, tires slashed, or the best I have heard is they just cover your car with snow.

Not Southie. I'm an area where the tradition is far less entrenched, but not unheard of. I respect the first 48hrs after the storm, if and only if you shovel your sidewalk.
 

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2003
Messages
2,309
Reaction score
18
A woman had spent more than an hour clearing away heavy snow from a spot, then left to run an errand, leaving a chair behind.

When she returned, she found the chair pushed aside and a car parked in its place. Seething despite the sub-freezing temperatures, she got her revenge.

When the parker returned to his car, he found it encased -- including its tires -- in a layer of ice from the garden hose.
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10041...#ixzz1Ck0X0E3U
 

West24

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2007
Messages
3,959
Reaction score
11
ie never heard of this before in my life. lol wtf?
 

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
60,012
Reaction score
22,655
The simple answer here is to get the psycho snow plow guy to show these bitches what's for.
 

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
5,713
Reaction score
445
I only heard about this on another forum a few months ago. It's so strange.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 16 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 74 16.6%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 146 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 75 16.8%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 37 8.3%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 26 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 16 3.6%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 9 2.0%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.9%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 27 6.1%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,540
Messages
9,199,980
Members
193,222
Latest member
GeoryWiuk

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top