• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Using an iPhone in another country; unlocking options?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Its a fashion accessory, of course its popular in Japan. And probably most of Asia. I never said it wasn't.

It is still a quaint and underpowered phone there though.

It's not about power, it's about da apps bra.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
It's not about power, it's about da apps bra.
My guess is that most people who own an iPhone (which they were giving away as the free phone with 2 year service contract in Feb at many places in Tokyo because it was selling so poorly) also own their real Japanese cell phone that they use for all the "regular" things that people use their phones for. Paying for items, watching television, accessing the internet, sending videomail and etc. http://74.125.127.132/translate_c?hl...wLlEacjS2HbyDQ 8GB iPhone 3G selling for 0 Yen. 16 GB iPhone 3Gs selling for 480 Yen. (approximately $5.01 U.S.), 32 GB iPhone 3Gs selling for 960 Yen ($10.15 U.S) From Feb- Oct Might have some impact on sales figures.
smile.gif

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
I was surprised to read on Engadget recently that in July the iPhone was the number one selling handset in Japan (I know OP is going to Taiwan).
That's more to do /w the culture than anything else. Asia has many more cellphone options compared to North America. ie:
DSC00177.jpg
DSC00178.jpg
She was telling me how she was debating between iPhone + a more practical phone and in the end decided to forgo the iPhone b/c specs were too ******. She is size D, which is plenty for me
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
BTW all these asses like TokyoSlim who pretend the iPhone is looked down upon in Asia are bullshitting. I was just there and most people think it's a pretty sweet phone, even there. Maybe not in Japan, but in other countries yes.
No one hates on the iPhone but iPhones are more for the tech inept/kids. It doesn't offer the same video-capacities as its competitors. HTC has become pretty popular in the past year.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I was surprised to read on Engadget recently that in July the iPhone was the number one selling handset in Japan (I know OP is going to Taiwan).

Softbank was giving them away for free with 2 year contracts.

It's still not out in Korea, it's the biggest shitshow ever. It was just approved for sale like a week and a half ago but it's not going to be ready for another month they said, and it's likely they're gonna cripple basically everything except calling on the damn thing. I'll still buy one because I'd rather that then give my money to the bastards at Samsung or LG, they own my life and everyone else's here.

Brian SD

Reaction score
The argument that the iPhone is looked down upon in Japan is a bunch of ****. I have the top of the line Docomo phone at the moment, costs double the iPhone and I end up using my friend's iPhone whenever we need GPS, or I want to check facebook, or whatever. The reception to the iPhone over here has been great. The interface is infinitely better than even the best Softbank/Docomo phones (basically Sharp / NEC phones). Whenever someone gets an iPhone they're always super excited to show it off. I'm talking about Japanese co-workers, not ex-pats. There are some great things Japanese phones can do that iPhones can't, that Tokyo Slim mentioned. Buying things, reading bar codes... those are all fine and dandy, and in terms of design I like Sharp's phones more than the iPhone. But in the end, for 99% of what you would need a phone for, the iPhone is a superior mechanism because the interface is so convenient and well-designed. Also, Softbank isn't giving them away and they're still selling like hotcakes. It costs about $200 iirc. My phone: http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/product/foma/prime/sh06a/

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Also, Softbank isn't giving them away and they're still selling like hotcakes.
You got some numbers for me? Cause my link up there says they extended the offer through Jan (which mean probably indefinitely, since it's like the fifth time they've extended it). I'm not calling you a liar, but YOU LIE.
smile.gif
Before Softbank started giving them away, they were hardly selling at all. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122143317323034023.html http://solokay.blogspot.com/2008/09/...-in-japan.html http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...091500899.html http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/02/26...able-for-free/ blah blah blah

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Is it still the number one selling phone in Japan at $200? Is it in the top three? You got some numbers for me?
No idea, just giving anecdotal evidence. It's probably not the #1 selling phone, because DoCoMo has like half the country's mobiles under its umbrella, and they don't have the iPhone. Softbank is the only network with the iPhone on it right now and they make up 25% of the marketshare, so I'd be surprised if it ever reached #1 status after the dust settles after revisions or newer releases. I'm just saying that generally speaking, despite the fact that it's much cheaper than the higher end Sharp and NEC phones, it's still very well-regarded. It does the important things well, and that's why people like it. I love my phone, it's faster and does a lot of **** that the iPhone simply doesn't, and DoComo's Pake-Houdai Double plan is good - I can download the **** out of anything I want and the data cost never goes over $40. Honestly the two reasons I went with the Sharp phone instead of an iPhone is because 1) I like clamshell phones, and 2) I fail massively at the touch-screen. I'm totally cool with the number-pad texting style, and using the number pad in Japanese is easy as fuckin pie. Most everything I send is in Japanese anyway. The Americans around here are too damn cheap to even get basic data plans for SMS.
laugh.gif
I think the sales for iPhones have been a relatively recent phenomenon. It's been slow starting up but it's gaining momentum. I don't CARE if it does well, I'm just posting my observations. The important thing to note is that despite being low tech, comparatively speaking, people still love the damn things.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Oh btw Slim, not to prolonge any argument here, but I talked to my friends that have iPhones out here and they're all paying out the ass for them. You end up paying about $450 or so for the phone, it's just that they split the payment up over 12 or 24 months and don't charge you anything at the start. Apparently they were never free to begin with, they just had no entry price.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The best place to purchase an iPhone from is Italy, HK, or Australia, since in those countries Apple sells the phone officially unlocked. In other words you can have an unlocked iPhone and download the software updates too.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
The best place to purchase an iPhone from is Italy, HK, or Australia, since in those countries Apple sells the phone officially unlocked. In other words you can have an unlocked iPhone and download the software updates too.

I'm no iPhone or telecommunications expert, but I live in Australia and I'm not sure if the phone is sold unlocked here.

At least, it was not when it was first released but that may have changed over time, with the more recent versions.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I'm no iPhone or telecommunications expert, but I live in Australia and I'm not sure if the phone is sold unlocked here.

At least, it was not when it was first released but that may have changed over time, with the more recent versions.

"iPhone 3G & iPhone 3GS purchased at the Apple Online Store can be activated with any wireless carrier. Simply insert the SIM from your current phone into iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS and connect to
iTunes 8.2 to complete activation.2 Purchase limitations may apply."

http://store.apple.com/au/browse/hom...co=MTAyNTM5ODU

teacha.gif
smile.gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
"iPhone 3G & iPhone 3GS purchased at the Apple Online Store can be activated with any wireless carrier. Simply insert the SIM from your current phone into iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS and connect to
iTunes 8.2 to complete activation.2 Purchase limitations may apply."

http://store.apple.com/au/browse/hom...co=MTAyNTM5ODU

teacha.gif
smile.gif

Well, you learn something new everyday - thanks for that.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Oh btw Slim, not to prolonge any argument here, but I talked to my friends that have iPhones out here and they're all paying out the ass for them. You end up paying about $450 or so for the phone, it's just that they split the payment up over 12 or 24 months and don't charge you anything at the start. Apparently they were never free to begin with, they just had no entry price.
facepalm.gif
Did you even LOOK at the link Brian? This much would have been obvious to you months ago. They also give a fairly steep discount on your service to defray the cost of the handset. Enough to where the 8GB iPhone 3G effectively costs NOTHING. The top of the line 3Gs isn't zero cost, of course, but regardless, it is still insanely cheap. Anyone here in the U.S. would JUMP at a 32GB iPhone 3Gs for a flat rate of $36 a month for two years which includes unlimited voice and unlimited data and no upfront cost for the phone. This is not called "paying out the ass" this is called "giving iPhones away". All cell carriers do the same thing with every phone they sell. The "free" phones are not free. And yet, they are. Quit arguing semantics.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As an example: The AT&T average iPhone 3Gs 16gb plan is 900 minutes, unlimited text and data for $109 a month. Plus the $199 upfront cost of the phone.

Total cost over two year contract $2815

The Softbank unlimited plan on the same phone total cost on a two year contract = $772

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads