• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Using a Press Cloth

Todd

Reaction score
I have not had very good luck using a press cloth...

The fabric just doesn't seem to come out as smooth as it does with direct contact wtih the iron.

Any advice?

Is it just me and I need more practice?

Thanks.

Todd

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may need more practice. What cloth are you using?? There are professional type cloths, available . . . I use an inexpensive silk scarf. For me this works fine. You might need to be using more steam or more heat, as well. I don't recommend using a hot iron, directly on your important garments.

Todd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
You may need more practice. What cloth are you using?? There are professional type cloths, available . . . I use an inexpensive silk scarf. For me this works fine. You might need to be using more steam or more heat, as well. I don't recommend using a hot iron, directly on your important garments.

I have tried a few things.

1. an odd plastic mesh contraption from Wal Mart
2. a piece of teflon
3. an old pillow case

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh. Well, some sewing stores carry 'professional pressing' cloths. They're made of a no stick, semi-sheer fabric. I like them. You can see what you're pressing underneath. I'd look into something like that, or perhaps you could use a lightweight silk scarf. I have found that to work very well.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here are few points to consider.
The weight and thickness of the cloth. I use a heavy cotton drill or a thin piece of cotton coat pocketing material. Depends on what is being pressed. When using a press cloth you need to move slowly. I also use a spray bottle to dampen the cloth to make steam and then leave the iron in that one spot to dry the cloth. Using a spray bottle I can control the amount of moisture and how much steam I need. If you use a home iron it is very light weight and you need to apply pressure when pressing. Take your time and let the garment dry after pressing. Best to press wools the day before you want to wear them. If you press a trouser and then wear it, the press won't hold. Pressing a garment takes more skill than you might think. Experiment a little.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, and sage advice, Despos!! I've been pressing for many years. Still learning the trade.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
go to your local fabric store. buy one yard of cotton drill. throw it in the washing machine. this takes out the starch and softens it . cut it in a few suitable sizes .
you now have a life time supply of press cloths, one should be a long one for
trouser creases.
follow chrises instructions for pressing.
remember the steam softens the fabric but the heat from the dry iron is what
dries the cloth and gives the firm finished press.

chewy

Reaction score
I can't find this cotton drill stuff anywhere. What about an old pinpoint shirt? Can I cut that up and use it with similar ease/effect as the drill stuff?

misterjase

Reaction score
i can recommend a purpose made pressing cloth from a small rural craft business here in Australia - Interface Pty Ltd. it is called the 'Best Boy Pressing Cloth'. check it out at http://www.interfaceaustralia.com/bbpc.htm. the item can be shipped to anywhere in the world.

ozonemania

Reaction score
I use muslin for pressing cloth. It's cheap, picks up any excess residue/detergent from clothing, transfers heat and steam well, and widely available.

misterjase

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Here are few points to consider.
The weight and thickness of the cloth. I use a heavy cotton drill or a thin piece of cotton coat pocketing material. Depends on what is being pressed. When using a press cloth you need to move slowly. I also use a spray bottle to dampen the cloth to make steam and then leave the iron in that one spot to dry the cloth. Using a spray bottle I can control the amount of moisture and how much steam I need. If you use a home iron it is very light weight and you need to apply pressure when pressing. Take your time and let the garment dry after pressing. Best to press wools the day before you want to wear them. If you press a trouser and then wear it, the press won't hold. Pressing a garment takes more skill than you might think. Experiment a little.

i have also been told to use a wood block to complete the pressing/drying after applying the heat from the iron.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by misterjase
i have also been told to use a wood block to complete the pressing/drying after applying the heat from the iron.

It's called a tailor's clapper and is used to set creases in soft wool (like flannel):

0301006.jpg

http://www.darrellthomas.com/display.php?cat=6

Put damp cloth over garment, iron, take cloth away and immediately,
while the fabric is still worm, damp and steaming, pound clapper down with great force.

Asian Afro

Reaction score

It's called a tailor's clapper and is used to set creases in soft wool (like flannel):
0301006.jpg
http://www.darrellthomas.com/display.php?cat=6
Off-topic, but I just want to say that it's very strange to see a link on SF to a store that I pass almost daily on my way to and from work. Most of the pictures and links I find on SF are from faraway places, usually not in Canada. This is the first time I see a link to somewhere local to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads