• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Useful, Ugly Summer Shoes

musososeki

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need some help finding a durable, comfortable pair of summer shoes. As to whether they should be fashionable: I dress like a rich hobo -- fitted terry cloth jackets; flowing, baggy jewel-tone silk tunics; baggy, pleated, high waisted pants in cottons and silks, frayed shantung cravattes with wing collared shirts, earthy linens -- yet my color tone is very muted, for the most part. Normally, I wear alligators loafers or patent oxfords, but this summer I'll be walking extensively along the Great Wall, and I need a more practical shoe suggestion. Something consistent with the rest of what I wear. I do not want to A: look trendy, or B: look cheap, so boat shoes and Crocs are out. Maybe mules of some kind? Any ideas?

Last condition -- I don't wear black, as a rule, but for the right shoe, I'd make an exception.

Thanks! I know this is a challenging request, and easy to make fun of, but I'd appreciate any help!

I'll pay up to $500 for the perfect shoe, but less would be nice

dasai

Reaction score
Boat shoes are trendy? I've worn them in summer all my life. (But then again, I grew up near a large body of water in the Northeast U.S., so your mileage may vary.)

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is really hard to tell if you are serious or not.

Troll?

Spam?

musososeki

Reaction score
Yeah, schmuck, I'm trolling.

I put myself out there, tell you how I dress, at the risk of embarrassment, no less, ask for advice from a well-regarded style forum, and this is your considered response?

musososeki

Reaction score
Do they hold up with extensive walking? In the rain? Should I get them resoled first?

Thanks for taking me seriously, by the way

was385

Reaction score
how much walking are you going to be doing per day? If it's substantial I'd be looking for a boot with some ankle support instead of crocs, boat shoes, loafers. Maybe something from Red Wing or Alden if you want to go higher price range.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musososeki
Yeah, schmuck, I'm trolling.

I put myself out there, tell you how I dress, at the risk of embarrassment, no less, ask for advice from a well-regarded style forum, and this is your considered response?

Woah, easy now. You had 1 post. Do you know how many trolls and spammers come on here daily. Relax.

I would look into the RL Dalton penny loafers.

musososeki

Reaction score
This won't help my cause, I guess, but I won't buy RL because I find his self-hating Jewish fantasy of WASPy elegance distasteful. Something European instead, how about; slightly less fraught.

musososeki

Reaction score
Someone else said that! Aren't they sort of a pain **********, though? They're very handsome, I'll admit.

Kalin

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with ugly shoes if a person is doing a lot of walking.

I'm one of those people who prefer shoes that are somewhat anatomically correct, like the vibram fivefinger komodo sports. If you wouldn't be caught dead in them, maybe look at the Teva Zilch, New Balance Minimus Life, Merrell Barefoot Trail Glove, or a shoe from Vivobarefoot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads