• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

used shell cordovan??

EricE.

Reaction score
Hi!
Im very interested in a pair of longwings. There are very often old used shoes made by
florsheim imperial or allen edmonds (macneil). The other day i saw an auction with these shoes...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-Florsheim-I...3A1%7C294%3A50

that is how many of these old shoes look like, that can be bought on ebay. are those shell cordovan?
can i make them look new even if they are in state like the shoes in the auction? If yes, would it
be a lot of work??

thanks
eric

EricE.

Reaction score
no one???

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the ones in your link look too beat. It is very difficult to restore leather which has started disintegrating (around the ankle lining).

There are tons of serviceable used shell cordovan on ebay, if you are prepared to spend about $100-150 you can find some nice examples. Not for $20 though.

EricE.

Reaction score
are those shell cordovan? is that what it is supposed to look like? and COULD they be restored...im asking this, because this is an example of shoes not been taking care of a lot, and there are many like those on ebay.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
the ones in your link look too beat. It is very difficult to restore leather which has started disintegrating (around the ankle lining).

There are tons of serviceable used shell cordovan on ebay, if you are prepared to spend about $100-150 you can find some nice examples. Not for $20 though.

+1

or you can go the Buying & Selling forum and find some very good, or close to new, shell cordovan shoes from trusted sellers and take the guessing out of the process.

In particular, distinctive and rebel222 consistently have shell inventory as well as others.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EricE.
are those shell cordovan? is that what it is supposed to look like? and COULD they be restored...im asking this, because this is an example of shoes not been taking care of a lot, and there are many like those on ebay.

yes they appear to be shell cordovan. The problem isn't the shell, which looks okay condition, but rather the incidental ankle lining which appears to be shredding apart. I don't know of a cheap way to restore this lining. The outsole is also well worn. You are looking at $70 for a resole and unknown $$$ for the lining repair, if even possible. Instead of doing that you could just buy serviceable used shoes from the start for $125.

EricE.

Reaction score
thanks for the answer.
when i buy worn shoes i allways think of the new soles. that was taken into account. i guess this is normal.
and i think the ankle lining is not a common problem (correct me if im wrong), at least i havent seen any other shoes with this kind of problem.
and on the other hand, this would not bother me at all, as this part is covered by the pants anyways. and if they dont fall apart, i wouldnt care.

a little bit patina or a little bit more, makes the shoe interesting
wink.gif

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
+1

or you can go the Buying & Selling forum and find some very good, or close to new, shell cordovan shoes from trusted sellers and take the guessing out of the process.

In particular, distinctive and rebel222 consistently have shell inventory as well as others.

Thanks for the plug...

Seriously, with my sales interest aside, I would stay away from heavily used Shell shoes. They dry out and crack... Also, the creases collect grime and that looks terrible. There are ways to revive some shoes, but on eBay you never know until they show up @ your door. If the shoes are lightly worn or properly maintained then it is a simple project to restore them. Some people just don't take care of their shoes.

On the vintage stuff, there wasn't much of a premium, at the time, for shell cordovan, so there was no incentive to maintain them properly.

PM me with your sizing info & budget. I will get something good for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads