• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Used Nieman Marcus worth buying to adjust pants?

Merlin Coryell

Reaction score
Found a pair of decent Nieman Marcus wool suits at a local resale store. I dont know anything about the different brands or lines they carry, but both suits are $25 each. I would need to hem and let the waist out about 2", with each has more than enough for. So the cost of per suit will be around $40.

Dont know their age at all, not terribly old. One is charcoal and the other is a dark cobalt-y blend suit. Good condition and feel, jackets fit nice, if just a teeny bit too long in the sleeves (1/2").

Am I good to assume that this is a hell of a deal, or should I report back with more label info?

_westERN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merlin Coryell
Found a pair of decent Nieman Marcus wool suits at a local resale store. I dont know anything about the different brands or lines they carry, but both suits are $25 each. I would need to hem and let the waist out about 2", with each has more than enough for. So the cost of per suit will be around $40.

Dont know their age at all, not terribly old. One is charcoal and the other is a dark cobalt-y blend suit. Good condition and feel, jackets fit nice, if just a teeny bit too long in the sleeves (1/2").

Am I good to assume that this is a hell of a deal, or should I report back with more label info?

I think any suit under $50 is worth a try.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merlin Coryell
I would need more info, but $40 for a suit that will eventually fit you is a good deal.

Merlin Coryell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
I would need more info, but $40 for a suit that will eventually fit you is a good deal.

Right, Ill try to get more info from the labels when I get out of work later. Im in no rush to get these if they are nothing special.

Merlin Coryell

Reaction score
Went back and picked up the grey suit, on further thought, Im not in love with the blue, but might get it if it hangs around long enough. Turns out Im terrible with short term memory.

Its a Nordstrom suit in fact, and was so well kept and "newish" it still had the extra buttons in their little baggie in a pocket. Jacket sits so nicely, considering it has no vents
frown.gif
, and pants will be taken tonight to be let out for a comfortable fit about 2-2.5in.

This is my second real wool suit in my current closet, so Im happy to have found something that works in such nice condition. But regardless of what the fabric snobs say, my lady and co-workers like my poly-blend $100 suits just fine.

Merlin Coryell

Reaction score
Oh and its a Hart Shaffner Marx for anyone who cared. I pick up the pants Thu. $40 for the suit tailored- not bad.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good deal esp if they fit you(for the most part!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads