• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Used eBay shoes for $50

DShareef

Reaction score
Gents. I'm looking for a nice pair of dress shoes to upgrade my weak collection. The budget is tight and rather inflexible- healthy income but large monthly nut to cover. I am not averse to used shoes as long as they well take care of. I've looked at the local thrift shops but haven't seen anything worth considering. Any suggestions on brands to track?

I was outbid at the last second for these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I had a similar pair a few years back (Florsheim I beleive) that were taken out of my gym locker.

Thanks for the help

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
are you a 12.5B? what's your budget? below was all i could find on ebay at the same price range, and it probably won't stay there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Allen-Edmonds-me...QQcmdZViewItem

I agree with NoVaguy, that these would be a great buy for you in your budget range. I bet they will go for $60 or less. Either set up a snipe bid or wait till the very end of the auction to bid and I hope you get these AE's.

Another option is Grapevinehill, Ebay's premier shoe seller, at least in volume. Surely they will have something in your size and budget, if you check their inventory often.

Finally, I don't think you should be sad that you lost out on your bid. The shoes that you had bid on don't look like they are in very good condition, and they are not even remotely as nice or versatile as the AE's that NoVaguy posted.

Regards and Good Luck! You will win a pair of shoes on Ebay for $50 or less. I hope you get a good pair.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm the king dumpster diving for heavily discounted shoes on Ebay.
blush.gif

At the $50 price point I have picked up Tramezzas , brand new AE pebble grains , and probably 3-4other pairs of shoes (mosly AE's) that were worn less than 10 times (in my approximation). At the sub-$75 point I have picked up an additional 6-8 pairs of AE's and passed on many other great opportunities.

I would recommend creeping up to the $60-70 delivered price range, scanning the new listings daily and trying to snipe a pair. It shouldn't take you long (provided the market for your size is similar to the market for mine).

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I looked at 12.5....not so many options.

If you can swing it (and they don't go too high) I highly recommend this shoe (as others have also done):

AE Strand 12.5B

This is the same model that I purchased in pebble grain leather, and I think its one of the nicest models they have ever made. They stopped making it years ago. These will last you a very long time.

chicagobull

Reaction score
Question: would you rather have a pair of used AE's for 50 dollars, or a pair of brand new Cole Haan's for $100? I have a hard time justifying the purchase of a used pair of shoes, but some of you have had good experiences with them.

Also, who are good Ebay sellers for used AE's, if I decide to go that route? thanks.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chicagobull
Question: would you rather have a pair of used AE's for 50 dollars, or a pair of brand new Cole Haan's for $100? I have a hard time justifying the purchase of a used pair of shoes, but some of you have had good experiences with them.

Also, who are good Ebay sellers for used AE's, if I decide to go that route? thanks.

Isn't that a rhetorical question? Unless I had a door that i desperately wanted to stop with the Cole Haans, it's definitely the AEs.

DShareef

Reaction score
What a beautiful pair of shoes! It is on my watch list and I will definitely make a run at them. Thanks. Would you suggest I stick with AE's for the most part in my price range?

I typically wear a 13 because 12.5 are so hard to find. Thanks again.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience AE's are your safest bet and most abundent quality shoe on Ebay. Learn to recognize quality characteristics and learn other brands through this forum and don't be afraid to branch out if you get an opportunity. This, of course, assumes that you have $$ to spend and can flip the shoes again on Ebay if you don't care for them. All up all in, I guess that I am saying yes, you will get a lot of bang for your buck on a regular basis with used AE's on Ebay.

BTW, if I were a 12.5B I would probably be willing to bid up to about $75-80 for those shoes without seeing the soles. Very nice kicks.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chicagobull

Why not try the best of both worlds. The Ebay seller AllenEdmonds(this is the direct factory store) sells brand new AE's for $109. Admittedly, the selection is spotty and I'm guessing that some if not all are irregulars. But they have great feedback and if you're not in a hurry, I bet they will have something that appeals to you.

As to used AE's just use your Ebay search function and check the seller's feedback. Just today I saw a seller that sold his AE's for $49.95(he's going casual, and they looked perfect). If you are diligent, you will get a buy!

Here are two examples:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ERMENEGILDO-ZEGN...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ERMENEGILDO-ZEGN...QQcmdZViewItem

DShareef

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips everyone. I will check ebay daily. I'm sure I'll land a pair within my price range at some point soon.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DShareef
I'm really psyched. I just won an ebay auction for this pair of Allen Edmonds:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0011307994&id=

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the advise.

Congratulations, you did great. AE Sanfords are wonderful. And $20 for a pair that is in great shape with the originall box. Hard to see how you could have done much better. You learn fast. Aren't you glad that you didn't win the bidding on those shoes that you started this thread with?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads