• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

used car for weekend toy

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thinking about buying a car just for the weekend, not as a daily driver. Only willing to spend $4,000 max (hey, kids are in private school). I have a 2004 Yukon, but looking at getting an Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Saab, or Lexus (unless there is another suggestion). I want automatic and something that is not that expensive to maintain. I have seen a lot of cars available on ebay and craigslist for the price range, but most are about 2000 or earlier with at least 125k on the clock.

I am still debating.

What are the most reliable and what are the suggestions?

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Go with an BMW E30 3 series. Find one with a Manual trans.

Spiral Stairs

Reaction score
Those brands in that price range will be nothing but trouble and will be expensive to maintain (except perhaps for Lexus). If you don't need the space or seats, I'd get a Miata. They last forever and are about as fun to drive as a car can get.

(However, if you're wedded to an automatic transmission, don't get a Miata, as automatic Miatas are sacrilegious.)

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Weekend toy" + automatic transmission + luxury marque + $4,000... DOES. NOT. COMPUTE.

Weekend P.O.S., maybe...

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should wait on the weekend toy for a few years. Or buy one of these.
Kart_KF1_2007_02.jpg
There is a track near my house, and a lot of them go over 80mph.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
"Weekend toy" + automatic transmission + luxury marque + $4,000... DOES. NOT. COMPUTE.

Weekend P.O.S., maybe...

we each have a different definition of toy. Mine is something I won't have the car seats in.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fuck_you_guys.jpg
um, ok

Originally Posted by BrianVarick
I think you should wait on the weekend toy for a few years. Or buy one of these.

Kart_KF1_2007_02.jpg

There is a track near my house, and a lot of them go over 80mph.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was actually being serious, you aren't going to find a bigger thrill for less than $200,000.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
we each have a different definition of toy. Mine is something I won't have the car seats in.

XJS V12 Jag convertible, 1990ish or so should be about 3-4K, put $50-100 aside every week for the eventual repairs but if you are only using it on the weekend, even the jag can last you a few years.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Military surplus M35. All-wheel drive, with low range. Multi-fuel engines run on diesel . . . or bio-diesel . . .kerosine . . . or transmission fluid . . . or burnt motor oil . . . or even gasoline if you mix some oil with it. $1000-$3000
154_0605_01_z+m35a2_military_truck+front_driver_side_view.jpg

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spiral Stairs
If you don't need the space or seats, I'd get a Miata. They last forever and are about as fun to drive as a car can get.

(However, if you're wedded to an automatic transmission, don't get a Miata, as automatic Miatas are sacrilegious.)

This

Originally Posted by edmorel
XJS V12 Jag convertible, 1990ish or so should be about 3-4K, put $50-100 aside every week for the eventual repairs but if you are only using it on the weekend, even the jag can last you a few years.

Or this.

Or perhaps since it's a weekend only car, get a '60's to 80's muscle car ('60's Mustang, '70's Camaro/Firebird, '70's Challenger, etc.). You obviously won't get a show quality specimen for this price, but it could be a fun car nonetheless.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Military surplus M35. All-wheel drive, with low range. Multi-fuel engines run on diesel . . . or bio-diesel . . .kerosine . . . or transmission fluid . . . or burnt motor oil . . . or even gasoline if you mix some oil with it.

$1000-$3000

154_0605_01_z+m35a2_military_truck+front_driver_side_view.jpg

won't fit in the garage, but thanks.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel

looking for smaller than a v12. already have a v8. but thanks.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Or perhaps since it's a weekend only car, get a '60's to 80's muscle car ('60's Mustang, '70's Camaro/Firebird, '70's Challenger, etc.). You obviously won't get a show quality specimen for this price, but it could be a fun car nonetheless.

You couldn't even get a rusted, rotted, rolling chassis of any of those cars for $4,000.

Some of you guys are delusional.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
You couldn't even get a rusted, rotted, rolling chassis of any of those cars for $4,000. Some of you guys are delusional.
Craigslist and Ebay for the So Cal region have plenty of those cars mentioned at that price (Challenger excluded), not anywhere close to pristine but not inoperable either. A few friends and myself always discuss what cars we would like and could afford to purchase as weekend toys. I would say you need at least $12k that will get you something that won't be a maintenance nightmare or blow up after a week, and even at 12k you'll still need a reasonable maintenance budget for unforseen breakdowns. I'd use the 4k as a down payment and try to finance another 8-10k to get something half decent you'll enjoy. You'll obviously get differing opinions from the rich kids around here but this is my advice given the limited budget. Our choices. Vintage: 64 Chevy El Camino 64 Ford Falcon Boy Racer: 97-99 E36 M3 with 80-90k 99-01 330 80-80k

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads