• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Used Canali 120's suit - how much is reasonable?

SilverSurfer

Reaction score
I'd like to start buying some canvassed suits, and am looking for some lightly owned ones. How much is reasonable to pay for a excellent condition Canali 120's suit, assuming it was $1400 or so retail? Is $350 too much?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It also depends on the size, color, and style.

An olive green double-breasted in size 36S will never go for as much as a 42R 3-button navy Canali.

That said, I would expect to pay around $200-250 for a used Canali in a 'common' size and in a versatile style/color on ebay.

I'd only pay the $350 if I was in a hurry, if the suit looked absolutely amazing, or if the condition was really really pristine.

SilverSurfer

Reaction score
VersaceMan said:
It also depends on the size, color, and style.

An olive green double-breasted in size 36S will never go for as much as a 42R 3-button navy Canali.
QUOTE]

This is an charcoal with blue and grey pinstripes, SB, 36. Looks almost new.

johnpemberton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
I'd like to start buying some canvassed suits, and am looking for some lightly owned ones. How much is reasonable to pay for a excellent condition Canali 120's suit, assuming it was $1400 or so retail? Is $350 too much?

I have some Canali in my store at the moment, with more coming this week. I would expect to sell them for around $300 or so.

John.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree with Doc. And if it has side vents, be prepared for it to go at the top of the pre-worn Canali range.

SilverSurfer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I agree with Doc. And if it has side vents, be prepared for it to go at the top of the pre-worn Canali range.

Why is this? Side vents are on the more recent ones?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why is this? Side vents are on the more recent ones?

Yes, and that they are quite desireable at the present time. These things go in cycles and side vents are popular at the present time.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Yes, and that they are quite desireable at the present time. These things go in cycles and side vents are popular at the present time.

They are also better. There, I said it. Unless you may wear the suit riding, a center vent is wrong, bad, and ugly.
devil.gif

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I bought it for $320. Thanks for the advice.

Not bad at all. It is a very sharp looking suit, and seems to be in excellent condition. Also, your size is sort of hard to come by, as you probably know, so all in all I'd say you did pretty well.

You probably saved at least a grand off of retail price.
smile.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I bought it for $320. Thanks for the advice.

Congrats, enjoy it!

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
im really impressed with a Canali ad I saw in a British GQ a couple of months ago (i was looking at it again the other day, reminded me)...very slim cut, high button point 3BSB in a navy pinstripe.

I keep meaning to bring it in to the office to scan and share, but always forget.

I may well wander on down to Phu-the-cheap with that picture and see how it comes out, looking for something to test him on

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics