• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Used Allen Edmonds

coltboy75

Reaction score
I have read that Allen Edmonds are good are "molding" to the shape of your foot. If this is correct, it seems a disadvantage of buying the shoes used. I have found a used pair on ebay that I like and they look to have life in them before a recrafting. Please give me your thoughts.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
'molding to the shape of your foot' is a concept that is a little overrated. it does happen but it is not horrible on a new owner's foot if the shoe was kept properly. i honestly believe it is not actually 'molding to your foot' but just general flex spots on a shoe that break in and get softer for all wearers. thus becoming more comfortable for any wearer.

Sean Archer

Reaction score
I have a pair of AE Bristol that are an old model but were nearly new. No issues. The cork layer doesn't really give much anyway because the whole bottoms are so thin, including whatever cork is in the middle layer. It feels like walking on a piece of piable wood when you walk.

The most comfortable shoes where the cork gave way a LOT and molded were my Florsheim Kenmoors (Indian made). Double sole ftw.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's the cork footbed and leather insole that creates the ability for the inside bottom of the shoe to mold to the bottom of your foot. Think of it like stepping in damp sand. You will notice under your big toes, your toe crest and, ball of your foot a dramatic impression. Although AE shoes will mold much more subtle than when you step in sand, it's the same idea. Therefore, used shoes (unless they were not worn enough to take shape) will not be comfortable to the second user.

coltboy75

Reaction score
Nick,

Thanks for the professional advice. Will recrafting allow me to "start over"?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
It's the cork footbed and leather insole that creates the ability for the inside bottom of the shoe to mold to the bottom of your foot. Think of it like stepping in damp sand. You will notice under your big toes, your toe crest and, ball of your foot a dramatic impression. Although AE shoes will mold much more subtle than when you step in sand, it's the same idea. Therefore, used shoes (unless they were not worn enough to take shape) will not be comfortable to the second user.
This makes sense to me.

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
I have read that Allen Edmonds are good are "molding" to the shape of your foot. If this is correct, it seems a disadvantage of buying the shoes used. I have found a used pair on ebay that I like and they look to have life in them before a recrafting. Please give me your thoughts.

Despite the fact that leather shoes definitely mould to the wearers' feet and will not be comfortable, the thought of taking over someone else's footwear is not at all appealing.

Cheers

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.

I mostly agree but your conclusion does not always follow and in fact I have always experienced the opposite; that used shoes are comfortable from the get go.. Perhaps because shoes of same size feet wear in many of the same areas?

Also, unless they are beat to hell the shoes can take on the shape of the new owner upon wearing.

The biggest problem I have encountered in used shoes is the leather uppers molding to the previous owners foot. For instance, if someone with an EE foot broke in a pair of D width shoes, then resold them as D. Will never be a good fit for a D after that.....

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
... Will recrafting allow me to "start over"?
This has worked for me with an old pair of thrifted Florsheims. I had them resoled with new cork and they are breaking in well.
Originally Posted by greekgeek
I mostly agree but your conclusion does not always follow and in fact I have always experienced the opposite; that used shoes are comfortable from the get go.. Perhaps because shoes of same size feet wear in many of the same areas?...
This has been my experience with a couple pairs. I'm sure that Nick's right though that the match will never be perfect, and sometimes it will be quite off. I was mostly drawn to old shoes while poor in grad school, but I'm still drawn to them for environmental reasons, for appreciation of old-school craftsmanship, and for the beauty of aged leather. New shoes certainly have their advantages, but there is much to be said for used ones too.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It really depends upon the quality of the shoe. But bottom line is that good leather insoles will take the shape of the foot. Have you ever seen tooled leather? Like on a saddle or a book? As the leather gets moist from the perspiration given off by the foot, the weight of the foot compresses the leather...just like tooling. Now, think about that saddle. After years and years of use, the tooling will ordinarily be nearly as distinct as it was originally. Once the compression takes place and the insole takes a "set," moving it around is not going to happen easily. OK, that's one aspect. The other is that not only do most people fit themselves according to advice given to them by mostly clueless sales clerks, most people don't realize that overall length is not the critical measurement that determines correct size. Some people have short toes; some have long toes. The length of the foot from the back of the heel to the medial ball joint is the correct determinant of shoe size. Almost zero size nine feet will print the same. Even on the same person. Then lets talk about fallen metatarsal arches or inflare/outflare feet, etc.. All those elements are going to be recorded in the footbed that is impressed into the insole. And the odds are a million to one (if that good) that you foot will match those contours even relatively well. You can get lucky. Or you can be young enough, and resilient enough, that you don't notice that the arch of your foot is being forced into a longer configuration than is natural to your foot. But unless the shoes were broken in by a hitherto unknown clone of yours, they will never fit correctly. Period. And at some moment in time, some of this is gonna catch up with you. And by that time it may be irreversible. And the cork is always fugitive...ask anyone who has ever pulled a used shoe apart. It always shifts and moves. The only way around this is to buy cheap shoes that have insoles of chemically treated paperboard or "shoddy." One other caution, the shoe is a jungle--moisture and heat from the foot encourage organisms that may be inimical to good foot health. Athlete's foot, nail fungus...choices, choices , choices...
nest.gif

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It should be noted that AE footbed mold to the wearer's foot more than other brand, IMHO. This is for newer (not the brand new w/ black insole) models with the tan, one-piece footbed. I'm not joining the debate on whether this is good or bad. However, this process cannot be undone through AE recrafting. They do not change the interior footbed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads