• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Used AE Strands on E-Bay - Good or Bad Deal?

gamma1234

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I will buy with confidence now.
smile.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the "W" mean that it's seconds? Or thirds?

In that case I strongly recommend passing on this deal. I made the same mistake in the beginning of my sartorial journey and bought 2 pairs of AE seconds off e-bay for roughly the same price. They both had visible imperfections and I never wore them. Now they grace the feet of my less sartorially-inclined friend.

QuestForReason

Reaction score
E's at Nordstrom Rack will have the W or M on the bottom to denote wide or medium sizing. Then again they just use a sticker not a stamp like these have.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe one's an "M" (Men's) and the other a "W" (Warehouse)?
confused.gif

gamma1234

Reaction score
Can anyone mind checking my updated first post again. Is that a major defect in pic 3 - look for crease/bend in the R shoe just below where the outside ankle bone would be. Or is the flash just playing tricks on my eyes.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are definitely fourths offered by MW.

Total score. OP if you don't get them I will.

gamma1234

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
These are definitely fourths offered by MW.

Total score. OP if you don't get them I will.

Seconds, then thirds, now fourths!

gamma1234

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Screenshot2010-09-02at212032.png

No.

Despite having a low post count, I have been around here for a while and I'm quite familiar with the "AEs suck meme."

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamma1234
Can anyone mind checking my updated first post again. Is that a major defect in pic 3 - look for crease/bend in the R shoe just below where the outside ankle bone would be. Or is the flash just playing tricks on my eyes.
That can be a defect. I had that in one of my AE shoes that I gave away. It was like a huge bulge on the side. I knew it was a defect, because some of the brogues weren't properly punched through on the same shoe, while the other shoe was fine. I strongly suggest that you shouldn't buy them. You're going to waste $60 on something you won't even like. Stick around in B&S. There are much better shoes selling for $100-150 regularly. Wait for that. Basically, if you buy something online it should look perfect. It's always going to be worse in real life. If you are in doubt already, pass.

gamma1234

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
That can be a defect. I had that in one of my AE shoes that I gave away. It was like a huge bulge on the side. I knew it was a defect, because some of the brogues weren't properly punched through on the same shoe, while the other shoe was fine. I strongly suggest that you shouldn't buy them. You're going to waste $60 on something you won't even like. Stick around in B&S. There are much better shoes selling for $100-150 regularly. Wait for that. Basically, if you buy something online it should look perfect. It's always going to be worse in real life. If you are in doubt already, pass.
I'm glad I noticed that problem area. I think I'm not going to purchase these now. Thanks for your advice, AND everyone else as well.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nooooooo!

See what I posted while you were typing.

gamma1234

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Just get these. And in case you're questioning my sincerity look.
Big, I would get that shoe in a heartbeat, but the 10.5 D is too wide for my narrow/girly foot
frown.gif
edit: and they are cordovan too? nice - just wish they fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics