use of suit bag for moth protection

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SuitingStyle, Dec 24, 2007.

1. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

Is it a good idea? I realized the other day I may have moth problem in my closet, as couple of my cashmere sweaters started to have holes in the middle of chest area.

So on my firend's recommandation, I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and got myself couple of plastic suit bags and hung my suits inside it. Is it a common practice to use the bags for insects proctection? Also, is it bad for the suits, since wool needs to "breath", as I've read many times before.

I've also gotten 20+ sedar bags and put on top of all my suits for extra prection.

2. 16520Man

16520Man Senior member

Rather than all plastic, consider canvas suit bags; the plastic front allows you to see the suit, but the canvas back of the bag allows it to breathe.

Canvas suit bags:

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Canvas...8513232&sr=8-7

I also brush my suits after each wear with a Kent clothes brush, to remove anything that moths may be attracted to.

[​IMG]

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

They have nice, simple, 100% canvas/cotton zippered suit bags at the Container Store. I put all my summer jackets and suits in them as well as my tuxedo. They are practical and they make the closet look so neat and organized. I like that they are off-white/natural canvas colored.

Just be sure to dry clean you clothing before storing it to kill any larva.

4. mussel

mussel Senior member

I find moth balls very effective for moth protection, although the smell may be a big turn off for some. Second on the clear plastic-canvas suit bags, be sure to brush the suit after each use before you put it into the bag, and put 2-4 moth balls into each bag.

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Yes! I keep all of my suits, coats, etc. in garment bags. I was happy to discover that my suit bag of choice apparently is re-available from Walmart after a several month absence from the shelves. They have a plastic front and breathable back and they're dirt cheap (~$2/ea). They also have a dress length size that work well with overcoats. Highly recommended.

6. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Nice closet 16520man.

Yes! I keep all of my suits, coats, etc. in garment bags. I was happy to discover that my suit bag of choice apparently is re-available from Walmart after a several month absence from the shelves. They have a plastic front and breathable back and they're dirt cheap (~$2/ea). They also have a dress length size that work well with overcoats. Highly recommended.

I have those same bags. The other day I saw a perfect Corneliani at Goodwill. I took a closer look and there were several holes that looked like insect damage. Doh.

7. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

is this the one you are talking about? This is the only one I found on walmart's website.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5508733

8. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

No, these:

[​IMG]

They likely don't bother to list it on the website. They have them with the hangers and closet stuff.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I used to have cedar blocks and balls in my closet until I realized that the damn monsters didn't give a flying one about cedar and kept on eating even my BNWT unworn garments....

Then, I switched to this:

[​IMG]

That stinks up my closet big time but that's as effective as using napalm to kill a couple ants. No more of those mf bugs now ! [​IMG]

10. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

I used to have cedar blocks and balls in my closet until I realized that the damn monsters didn't give a flying one about cedar and kept on eating even my BNWT unworn garments.... Then, I switched to this: [​IMG] That stinks up my closet big time but that's as effective as using napalm to kill a couple ants. No more of those mf bugs now ! [​IMG]
    I've posted this before about moths. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05599.html Cedar doesn't do much, as you found. I have a few of those Alan posted and they also sell a long one good for overcoats and furs. Furs also get eaten!

11. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

No, these:

[​IMG]

They likely don't bother to list it on the website. They have them with the hangers and closet stuff.

Alan,

These look great and for $2.00, WOW!

Usually I'm a Sams Club man, but since these probably wouldn't be at Sams Club, I think a visit to Walmart might be warranted.

12. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Definitely brush your suits etc after each wearing.
    I dry clean my winter wools every spring and put them away in sealed storage for the summer.
    I've also had good luck with canvas clothing bags.

13. Amie

Amie Member

Just set up my styleforum account after having randomly come across this feed in a google search trying to wade war with my first ever glimpse of moths! gdl203, the link for what you switched to is no longer available, but I would love to know what product you switched to so that I can get rid of these mf bugs! I'm hoping that I am early on in my fight as I have only seen 2 moths so far after a relative gave me some clothes that apparently brought this problem my way.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

It's called No-Moth and is sold everywhere, including Amazon. Just so you know, it stinks :)
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/closet/clothingCare/chemical?productId=10000185

15. gyalos

gyalos Senior member