1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Usable Pocket Square

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Joffrey, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Hi guys. I want to get in the habit of wearing pocket squares but im not into the idea of leaving them there for sartorial purposes only. So I want to know if its possible to use handkerchifs in place of pocker squares, so I wont feel bad when I need to wipe my brow or sneeze in them. Or is normal to use normal pocket squares in such a way?

2. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I'd advise against a functional pocket square. Consider the adage one for showin' and one for blowin'. Your pocket square should be largely decorative while your snot rag should be well concealed elsewhere on your person.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Some cotton squares could be both functional and decorative, but once used they shouldn't go back on display... ew.

4. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

Agree with VG 100%. I also can't tell you how invaluable a handkerchief is as a Dad. And once it's been used, it needs to get tucked away somewhere. [​IMG] The three things I always have to have are cash, the time and a handkerchief.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

here is what I do - every year or so I buy a bundle of white cotton handkerchiefs. I carry a new one in the breast pocket, and an old one in the front left pocket of my pants. if I need to use one, I use the one in my pants. if, for what ever reason, I use the new one, it is rotated into the group that is put in my pants.

6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Wow great points though its painfully obvious in hindsight. Putting a handkerchief in there sounded like such a novel idea. Anyway i'm going to have to start building my collection in both....

by the way is it ok to use a white pocket square regardless of the tie? Or in some cases does the 'square need to be chosen in consideration of the tie being worn?

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

I'd avoid using the pocket square in the breast pocket functionally not only for the reasons mentioned, but also if you use it to wipe your forehead and put it back in the pocket, you run the risk of transferring oils to your suit and damaging the fabric.

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Wow great points though its painfully obvious in hindsight. Putting a handkerchief in there sounded like such a novel idea. Anyway i'm going to have to start building my collection in both....

by the way is it ok to use a white pocket square regardless of the tie? Or in some cases does the 'square need to be chosen in consideration of the tie being worn?

most here won't agree with me, but I do not have the patience to coordinate pocket square with tie - mine are all white.

9. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

While white might not always be the best option, it's always a good option. If you want to add a bit of variety but still not have to fool with matching (as globe said,) switch between silk and linen.

10. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

White is ALWAYS the best option!

11. Edward Appleby

What if you're wearing a white linen jacket? [​IMG]

12. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

White squares are usually boring but occasionally useful or even the best choice, IMO.

I would as soon use my square for any utilitarian purpose as blow my nose in one of my Charvet neckties! In any event, I much prefer silken squares to cotton or linen.

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Nothing is always anything. I wear white 99% of the time, but I do like the look of patterned silks from time to time. You might want to lighten up on the dogma just a smidgen.

14. Edward Appleby

You might want to lighten up on the dogma just a smidgen.

I'd imagine he was being a bit hyperbolic.

15. thinman

thinman Senior member

I try to coordinate with my tie, but if I don't have a pocket square that coordinates well, then white linen is the default. I also have some colored/patterned linen squares because I sometimes like a different texture from silk.

And I always carry one for showin' and one for blowin'. In a *dire* emergency, I would use the one in my breast pocket. There was a thread sometime back, either here or on AAAC, asking if you would offer your pocket square to a lady in distress. It generated some interesting responses.