USA v Mexico

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by misterbowles, Mar 27, 2005.

1. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior member

So, can the US pull it off at the Azteca today? Hopefully all the high-altitude training will result in victory.

2. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

muahahahahahahahahahahaha...

the return match wih the u.s. at home should be a good one.

they didn't have a chance in mexico city though. there is a magic at that stadium and mexico almost never loses there. i think they've lost one match since 1981 in "el azteca".

3. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

A disappointing but not unexpected loss. Unfortunately I missed it because I was on a train coming back from NYC. I am looking forward to the return leg though. And the game against Gautamala on Wed.

On a related note...there is a good article on espn.com's soccernet about how everyone needs to give up on the idea of Landon Donovan being our great hope. I cannot believe he is considering coming back to MLS just because he hasn't had much playing time since he got to Germany all of two months ago. They've given him the opportunities and he hasn't done the job. He has to work for it. I am beginning to agree with the author of that article that he just does not have a winner's attitude. What footballer doesn't dream of playing in Europe?

And at the same time, MLS refuses at 5m offer for Eddie Johnson from PSV. Sweet jesus. Here is a player already showing quite some prowess who will only gain from being in Europe (and unlike Donovan and Beasley, he has the size) and thereby strengthen the US MNT.

bob

4. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Tough loss for the USA but a nice win for a strong Mexican team, cheapened by the boos of the National Anthem and the calls of "Osama, Osama" before and during the match by contingents of the Mexican faithful, real class. It seems like some of the fans are looking for tenure at US universities.

5. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

there were maybe 20 guys chanting "osama" in a crowd of over 110,000.

as for the whistles during the american national anthem, they were an anti-war demonstration. the mexican people and their government opposed the u.s. invasion of iraq. the whistling was a product of that. not that it makes it okay, but i thought you should know the reason.

6. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

matador thanks for the explaination, it didn't seem in keeping with the Mexicans that I know.