Us people eating like pigs?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ernest, Apr 11, 2005.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Dammit. Now I'm hungry. In honour of ernest (and Fabienne) I will make myself a Croque Monsieur tonight. I will broil it in the heat of ernest's outrage - make good deal on gas bill.

2. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Ernest, I personally eat a hamburger or a BLT, or any sandwich, mustard or not with a fork, I hold the fork in my left hand upside down, take the knife in my right to eat...everything...but yes Americans do eat with their hands in general...I prefer the European way of using utensils, and although nobody in the Sates stares at me for using my fork and knife on a burger, the Europeans definitely stare at us as barbarians when we visit there...so I just adapted my style and actually have grown accustomed.

3. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

4. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Mustard is French (grey Poupon, French's).

The sandwich is clearly an English invention.

But somehow the Americans always get the blame.

5. ernest

ernest Senior member

I also eat with hands but i don't make a sandwich if i have some chicken, cheese and vegetables in front of me when i am at a stranger home .

6. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

(nightowl6261a @ April 13 2005,00:44) Ernest, I personally eat a hamburger or a BLT, or any sandwich, mustard or not with a fork, I hold the fork in my left hand upside down, take the knife in my right to eat...everything...but yes Americans do eat with their hands in general...I prefer the European way of using utensils, and although nobody in the Sates stares at me for using my fork and knife on a burger, the Europeans definitely stare at us as barbarians when we visit there...so I just adapted my style and actually have grown accustomed.
    I also eat with hands but i don't make a sandwich if i have some chicken, cheese and vegetables in front of me when i am at a stranger home .
    Perhaps French will help here: C'etait donc chez toi, et tu lui as servi : ... ? Des tranches de pain, ou des morceaux de pain (genre baguette ou pain de mie) ? Tu nous fais marcher ? En tout cas, je peux t'assurer que ce n'est pas la norme. Les Americains que j'invite chez moi ne m'ont jms fait ce coup-la. Il y a d'autres differences, par exemple, il n'est pas rare qu'un Americain commence a manger alors que d'autres ne sont pas servis, mais c'est un manque d'education, a mon avis.

7. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

(nightowl6261a @ April 13 2005,00:44) Ernest, I personally eat a hamburger or a BLT, or any sandwich, mustard or not with a fork, I hold the fork in my left hand upside down, take the knife in my right to eat...everything...but yes Americans do eat with their hands in general...I prefer the European way of using utensils, and although nobody in the Sates stares at me for using my fork and knife on a burger, the Europeans definitely stare at us as barbarians when we visit there...so I just adapted my style and actually have grown accustomed.
    SUM CHICKIN..

8. marc37

marc37 Senior member

l think l understand Ernests thinking. lt is undignified to wipe up sloppy substances with bread and eat with your hands. Similar too wiping up gravey with your bread - gross habit. l think Ernest means that it is o.k to eat a hamburger with your hands but it is no good to act like a peasant and eat in appropiate foods (like mustard) with bread. Am l correct old son?

9. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

I wonder what Ernest will think of your "Ur*ne Therapy"..... yuk. [​IMG]

10. marc37

marc37 Senior member

(marc37 @ April 14 2005,16:41) l think l understand Ernests thinking. lt is undignified to wipe up sloppy substances with bread and eat with your hands. Similar too wiping up gravey with your bread - gross habit. l think Ernest means that it is o.k to eat a hamburger with your hands but it is no good to act like a peasant and eat in appropiate foods (like mustard) with bread. Am l correct old son?
    I wonder what Ernest will think of your "Ur*ne Therapy"..... yuk. Â [​IMG]
    The first time is always the hardest. Urine contains an abundance of nutrients. (lt is loaded with: hormones, vitamins and minerals). Urine also is very alkaline and makes you very spiritual. lt is good to drink urine before meditating.

11. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Originally posted by marc37:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Marc,

All evidence suggests that you are a nutbag re. your dietary beliefs.

Fabienne:
    I'd like to add that with Americans, when, for whatever reason, the entrees are not all brought out at the same time (happens frequently,) it is customary for those who have not been served to beg the others to start without them. It is not considered rude to accede to this request, although there it is not necessary to do so either.

13. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Get on a plane sometime.

As Kaga would say, "IMMSMC" it's quite accepted to wipe up with bread in France.

Unless I been smokin' somethin'.

Is there a logical next step in your urine therapy? A step #2, so to speak?

14. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

it is very, very common to eat with your hands in india, almost everybody does it, and eats almost everything. I have seen a very dignified older man eat a full english breakfast in india with his hands (not very pretty).

when I was living there, that is how I ate. it was very very comfortable, and you would usually get an oversized fingerbowl to clean up afterwards (hands, face, maybe your neck). all part of the rules.

in other parts of Asia and Africa, various combinations of hands, fork, spoon, knife and chopsticks are used. these things are different all over the world. we are always more comfortable watching somebody eat the way we are used to, but they should all get the work done without being to gross.

15. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

When I want a sandwich, I move some furniture around = try on shoes.