1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

US Open tennis

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by gmac, Aug 30, 2006.

1. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Federer is just amazing to watch. He really doesn't have a weakness (other than the few times I've seen him lose concentration during a match). You have to be perfect when you're playing him, or he'll eat you alive. I was marvelling at his serve last night. He doesn't have the biggest serve velocity wise, but he places it so well that he doesn't need to. He had far more aces last night than Roddick, a player known for his serve.

Also, getting back to Sampras, the reason I found him boring was that the points were over too quickly. This is certainly a testament to his skill, but it didn't make for very exciting tennis (IMHO). Also, he didn't give the most exciting interviews in the world, which kind of adds to the boredom factor (even though it probably shouldn't). I find it interesting that tennis has gone from a baseline game to a serve and volley game back to a baseline game.

Did anyone catch the retrospective/highlights they showed from the Connors/McEnroe 1984 U.S. Open final? What great highlights! I still say there was no one better at the net than Johnny Mac.

2. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I wonder what the final tally was for the instant replay line calls? It seemed that whenever a player challenged a linecall, the player was correct moreso than the linescall....I'd be curious to see what percentage of challenged linecalls were overturned.
    I think the actual proportion was something like 1/3 of the time the challenge was upheld, so a lot less than most people were expecting. I'm surprised at how seamless the process went, and look forward to seeing it used in Australia in '07. These Grand Slam matches have become too expensive to see a result changed because of a bad call.

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Federer is overrated. He isn't winning all of his matches in straight sets with two breaks of serve in each set. Why is everyone on the ATP tour letting him win so often? Why do they keep getting psyched out?

4. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

Federer is overrated. He isn't winning all of his matches in straight sets with two breaks of serve in each set. Why is everyone on the ATP tour letting him win so often? Why do they keep getting psyched out?

are you joking, or have you just never watched a tennis match?

5. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Yea well makes for very boring tennis in my opinion.

Yes, those Sampras/Agassi matches were real snore fests.

koji

6. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

Yes, those Sampras/Agassi matches were real snore fests.

koji

You're right, and it's because of their difference of styles which has been pointed out to me... but Sampras has always striked me as a boring person and I never liked watching him... Federer seems to dispatch of his opponents with the same ease but I find it to be more elegant, from my amateur point of view.