US Open tennis

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by gmac, Aug 30, 2006.

1. gmac

gmac Senior member

It might be too soon for him but I'm hoping Andy Murray can make a big impact.

Federer has lost at least a little of his aura of invincibility recently.

2. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

wow, I was getting a bit teary eyed watching Agassi's final moments. I couldnt stand him when he first came on the scene in the mid 80s and even through most of the 90s, but over the past 8 or 9 years I've definitely learned to respect him as a player and he's seems like a pretty swell guy off court as well. I know I'll miss seeing his name in tournament draws from now on.

totally agree. i used to hate him during his Canon EOS hair days. but then he stopped playing for awhile and when he came back, whenever he opened his mouth, he seemed to be one of the classiest guys out there. like Dick and John were, saying, i hope he stays in the sport as an ambassador.

-Jeff

3. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

It might be too soon for him but I'm hoping Andy Murray can make a big impact.

Federer has lost at least a little of his aura of invincibility recently.

Not really... most people think he tanked that match to get a week to rest up for the US Open... it was either that or getting fined by the WTA.

In any case, Murray is incredible, he's beat a lot of top players and he'll make a very big splash... the Brit Lawn Tennis Association shelled out 1mill for Brad Gilbert... he's obviously a big deal.

4. gmac

gmac Senior member

Not really... most people think he tanked that match to get a week to rest up for the US Open... it was either that or getting fined by the WTA.

Most people? I've heard that from one source. You think you become a winner like Federer by tanking matches deliberately? Hardly.

5. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I will miss Agassi.
    Concerning women in tennis - I believe Serena Williams has one of the all -time incredible bodies, shapely and athletic.

6. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

Most people? I've heard that from one source. You think you become a winner like Federer by tanking matches deliberately? Hardly.

No, but it makes a lot of sense to do that instead comming to the US Open dog tired...

In golf and tennis, a lot people will opt out of the tournament before a major. The problem is, if you're ranked in the top 30 (I think), you have to attend masters series tournaments or you get fined.

7. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I always liked Agassi, even during his "young and stupid" years. No doubt he suffered from a little bit of "run of the mouth" disease, but he also made tennis more exciting than some of his contemporaries. Sampras was no doubt a better player, but he was boring to watch. Same with Courier, imho. The fact that Agassi had one of the best returns of serve in the history of the game always made for exciting viewing.

As his career went along, Agassi developed into an incredibly classy individual and a great ambassador for the sport. He is certainly one of the best players ever (though doesn't quite crack the top tier imho). However, I'll miss the excitment he brought to each of his matches.

8. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

I will miss Agassi.
    Concerning women in tennis - I believe Serena Williams has one of the all -time incredible bodies, shapely and athletic.

you think so? i was watching the Williams/Mauresmo yesterday and it seemed like Serena's body was working against her. i mean, let's face it, she's a big girl. there were so many shots just out of reach for Williams whereas Mauresmo seemed very lithe and light on her feet.

granted, Williams hasn't played much recently with her drama life and i'm sure that worked against her too.

-Jeff

9. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Haven't had a chance to watch that much yet, but it's been fun. The first two Agassi matches were great--you could see he was hurting from the start against Becker, and the first set was pretty long, which can't have been good.

One thing I didn't realize was how big the women are--Davenport and Sharapova are 6'2"!

10. cchen

cchen Senior member

Went last night to watch Mauresmo vs Williams and Hewitt vs Gasquet. Gasquet really is an amazing player.

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Maria Sharapova's endorsement stock just went up.

12. Chris "Italia"

Chris "Italia" Senior member

Can Roddick defeat Roger?

13. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

Can Roddick defeat Roger?

I don't think so, and I definitely hope not.

Roddick is bad for tennis. Sure, I'm supposed to support the Americans and all, but Roddick is very bad for tennis. If you look at Roddick, he has an unparalleled serve, a slightly above-average forehand and an awful backhand and volleys (not to mention footwork, patience, strategy, sportsmanship, etc etc...). But the worst thing about him is that until very recently, he had not improved any facet of his game since becoming a pro. And to me, a person like that shouldn't win, let alone dominate at the highest levels of tennis (this is why I also hope Serena rededicates herself and comes back stronger).

If you have a good tennis memory, you may remember a time when Federer was a brash kid with a temper who would melt down at the slightest provocation when he was beginning pro. You may also remember that James Blake was just another NCAA champion trying to maintain an ATP tour card. Now, Federer is considered (and certainly looks) unbeatable and one of the coolest heads in the game. Blake now has one of the best forehands in the game and his backhand is getting better every day. These are pros who have made their games much better through hard work and dedication. Until Roddick comes back with more than his serve to rely on to get him out of trouble, he does not deserve to win. I'm happy that he's working on his backhand and other facets of his game, but I certainly do not think it's good for tennis for someone who hasn't significantly improved in six years of being a pro (relative to his peers, that is) to be winning grand slams. That is bad for tennis.

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Can Roddick defeat Pong?

15. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

I don't think so, and I definitely hope not.

Roddick is bad for tennis. Sure, I'm supposed to support the Americans and all, but Roddick is very bad for tennis. If you look at Roddick, he has an unparalleled serve, a slightly above-average forehand and an awful backhand and volleys (not to mention footwork, patience, strategy, sportsmanship, etc etc...). But the worst thing about him is that until very recently, he had not improved any facet of his game since becoming a pro. And to me, a person like that shouldn't win, let alone dominate at the highest levels of tennis (this is why I also hope Serena rededicates herself and comes back stronger).

If you have a good tennis memory, you may remember a time when Federer was a brash kid with a temper who would melt down at the slightest provocation when he was beginning pro. You may also remember that James Blake was just another NCAA champion trying to maintain an ATP tour card. Now, Federer is considered (and certainly looks) unbeatable and one of the coolest heads in the game. Blake now has one of the best forehands in the game and his backhand is getting better every day. These are pros who have made their games much better through hard work and dedication. Until Roddick comes back with more than his serve to rely on to get him out of trouble, he does not deserve to win. I'm happy that he's working on his backhand and other facets of his game, but I certainly do not think it's good for tennis for someone who hasn't significantly improved in six years of being a pro (relative to his peers, that is) to be winning grand slams. That is bad for tennis.

Well Roddick's been going to the net a lot more which I suppose has helped his comeback. I hate Roddick because he's such a twat. When he won the quarters he gave some very snarky responses afterwards, and it's not the first time. I hated Roddick when he was comming up and I hate him now. I hope Federer humiliates him (like he has in every final he ever played with Roddick).