1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

US Import Duty

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Feb 10, 2009.

1. sangiuseppe

sangiuseppe Senior member

Thank you Carl.
    Since the US are not linen producers, theoretically should be free of duty, but it is very hard to find out indeed.

2. eHaberdasher

eHaberdasher Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I believe linen is at 2.8%, but supposedly if the total value of your products does not exceed $200 the duty would be nil.

3. Joakeen

Joakeen Member

Got a pair of Tricker's boots from End Clothing during their 20% OFF sale. Came out to $399 + $12 shipping. Today I got an invoice for $149 from FedEx. They are charging me a duty rate of 37.5%, the highest possible for footwear. The description given by End doesn't even make sense: they are using something like "Footwear, Other, Waterproof, Soles/Upper Rubber". The category that comes closest that I found is "Footwear/Boots/ Leather Upper/Rubber Sole". That one has a rate of 8.5% only.
    I am so upset.

4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

5. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Something like that happened to me with a pair of Tricker's delivered via DHL.
    I was able to work with DHL to get it corrected to 8.5%.
    It took a lot of back and forth.
    Of course in my case DHL totally messed up and categorized them as women's textile dance shoes.

1 person likes this.
  6. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

How did you get it fixed? I've found DHL to be so difficult to deal with. ALL of my last 9 packages (literally 100%) delivered by DHL have been hit with fees, with the rates varying widely for the same products.

Also, they have been holding packages and will not release them unless the duties are paid upfront if the duty exceeds $250 (which it nearly always does). Really annoying.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  7. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Searching the interwebz, I found a post on purse forums that outlined what to do.

I didn't pay the bill and instead sent a dispute letter to DHL pointing out the incorrect categorization, copy of invoice, pictures of item, plus what I thought was the correct categorization. I was eventually contacted by some one from DHL after 90 days or so. She wanted more pictures of the shoes (not sure why she needed more), copy of the invoice, etc. I eventually got a revised invoice for 8.5% and I paid that.

There actually wasn't too much back and forth about it except that we played phone tag a lot and she messed up my email address so it took a while before I got some form she sent me.

Original delivery of shoes was early May and it didn't get cleared up until September.

8. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Hmm. Really not so bad..... Glad it got settled in your favor!

9. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

1 person likes this.
  10. js4design

js4design Senior member

I'm having a similar issue. Ordered the Barbour Commander from End.com in August and got hit with 16% through FEDEX because they classified it as men's clothing - cotton knit, instead of 6.2% for men's clothing - woven cotton. At the time I didn't know how it was classified, only that it was high, so I asked them to review it. Fast forward to today and I get another bill saying the payment is past due. After a few phone calls, I find out the item was reviewed and they adjusted from 16% to 15.9%, still as cotton knit. I explained that it should have been the 6.2% and was told that I can dispute it but there is a $75 fee for all disputes. Obviously, it wouldn't be worth it to dispute it, but I'm not sure if I should call back and try to talk to someone else or see if I can provide some documentation to get the issue resolved without the fee.

11. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior member

Hmm I am gonna buy a pair of shoes for Herring. It is 5 more pounds to use Royal. Is there a better chance I wont get charged import duty with them? I live in the USA.

12. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

I have purchased two pairs of shoes from Herring and have been charged for duties/fees both times by DHL. I have yet to be charged duties/fees when receiving items by Royal Mail (3 pairs of shoes from Pediwear).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  13. Sane

Sane Well-Known Member

How much have your duties/fees been? A 20%+ duty/fee would make these not even worth importing imo.

14. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

I don't remember the exact amount, but it was something like $35 for a $300 order. 

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  15. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'm having a few packages that seem to be held up in customs when entering the US. I just keep seeing the message below. Is anyone else experiencing this?

[​IMG]

16. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

What does it say on the Royal Mail website? They may have more info.

You could also call USPS and they may be able to give you more information. Rarely, though. They pretty much have the same info as the public website, but once I had a shipment that had a vague description like yours and they said when I called that they were able to see it was in customs.

Also, Registered Mail may have small delays and be tracked differently, as it has to be signed by an employee at every stage and kept in a locked part of the building. I never use it; it's not worthwhile.

17. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

According to Pitney Bowes and a few other sources:

Good news for US consumers! Starting March 10, 2016, imports of merchandise up to USD 800 will be allowed into the United States free from duties and taxes.
    The Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015 raises the de minimis threshold for low value shipments. Section 901 amends the Trade Tariff Act of 1930 (19 U.S.C. § 1321(a)(2)(C)) to raise the limit on amount of exemption from USD 200 to USD 800. This amendment applies to merchandise imported or withdrawn from the warehouse for consumption on or after the 15th day after the date of enactment of the Act. The enactment date was February 24, 2016.

2 people like this.
  18. Elessar

Elessar Senior member

This is great news! Can anybody confirm this? I've been holding out on some shoe purchases after getting hit with customs in late February this year. If only I'd waited a month.