• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Import Duty

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What does it say on the Royal Mail website? They may have more info.

You could also call USPS and they may be able to give you more information. Rarely, though. They pretty much have the same info as the public website, but once I had a shipment that had a vague description like yours and they said when I called that they were able to see it was in customs.

Also, Registered Mail may have small delays and be tracked differently, as it has to be signed by an employee at every stage and kept in a locked part of the building. I never use it; it's not worthwhile.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
According to Pitney Bowes and a few other sources:

Good news for US consumers! Starting March 10, 2016, imports of merchandise up to USD 800 will be allowed into the United States free from duties and taxes.
The Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015 raises the de minimis threshold for low value shipments. Section 901 amends the Trade Tariff Act of 1930 (19 U.S.C. § 1321(a)(2)(C)) to raise the limit on amount of exemption from USD 200 to USD 800. This amendment applies to merchandise imported or withdrawn from the warehouse for consumption on or after the 15th day after the date of enactment of the Act. The enactment date was February 24, 2016.

Elessar

Reaction score
According to Pitney Bowes and a few other sources:

Good news for US consumers! Starting March 10, 2016, imports of merchandise up to USD 800 will be allowed into the United States free from duties and taxes.
The Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015 raises the de minimis threshold for low value shipments. Section 901 amends the Trade Tariff Act of 1930 (19 U.S.C. § 1321(a)(2)(C)) to raise the limit on amount of exemption from USD 200 to USD 800. This amendment applies to merchandise imported or withdrawn from the warehouse for consumption on or after the 15th day after the date of enactment of the Act. The enactment date was February 24, 2016.

This is great news! Can anybody confirm this? I've been holding out on some shoe purchases after getting hit with customs in late February this year. If only I'd waited a month.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads