• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Import Duty

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious. Has anyone been 'stung' with duty on Shoes?
I missed the UPS guy today, though the InfoNotice indicates a charge of $58.
Shoes were Shipped from C&J London.
I have purchased 6 pair in the previous 18 months from PLAL, (with zero duty incurred).

card_richelieu

Reaction score
I've only been hit once - $33 for a couple of pairs from Herring Shoes. Have had no problems with Plal, Pediwear, or Bodileys

the.chikor

Reaction score
I just got hit with a customs duty for $68 for returning a misfitting pair of shoes back to the manufaturer in Vienna last November.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes.

Fedex (and I think UPS too) will charge you a brokerage fee too even if you're not assessed anything.
It was something like $26 the last time I got shoes from the UK.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If my C&Js sourced from Bodileys come with a surcharge, I will reject them & raise hell.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who exactly do you raise hell with? For what it's worth, I've never had a problem, but I know it's a possibility any time I order from abroad.
Originally Posted by bigbris1
If my C&Js sourced from Bodileys come with a surcharge, I will reject them & raise hell.

sf_esq

Reaction score
No problems with Plal or Robert Old. Neither ships UPS, Fed Ex or DHL. Shipping via POS Malaysia and Royal Mail avoids those fees. I always enquire as to which carrier the sender intends to use and typically only order if they use their national carrier, which is delivered by US Mail in this country.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - guess that I should have done my 'homework' better. Shipping was offered, which pretty much worked out the same as the EX VAT cost. It seemed the 'easy route' at the time, given that my suitcase was full. PLAL everytime, (or hand carry what he does not sell).

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
Who exactly do you raise hell with?

For what it's worth, I've never had a problem, but I know it's a possibility any time I order from abroad.

The seller, I guess.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first G&G's were duty free...pure accident

Second got hit with a $23 duty

Third batch (of 4 shoes) got a $78 duty charge

It all depends on what the declared value is

Most oversees internet based retailers won't fib on the declared value....some visiting artisans whom you meet in person...realize this delicate matter and work with you on the declared value...especially when you pay cash
wink.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1

Please let me know how this goes - was considering ordering from them myself.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know, I know.

Triniboy, will do, although since I just went to the C&J store & tried on the drummond in size 11.5 which fit my small foot. I'm not too sure if the Finsbury will be too big since I ordered a 12E. Also, my order was delayed a bit since they're having the shoes shipped directly from C&J since they were out of stock in my size.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the UK end I avoid sellers using UPS as I always get stung with duty (sadly this rules out STP). USPS shipped items rarely get stopped, and from selling stuff to the US if I send Royal Mail the same is true the buyers end.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
From the UK end I avoid sellers using UPS as I always get stung with duty (sadly this rules out STP). USPS shipped items rarely get stopped, and from selling stuff to the US if I send Royal Mail the same is true the buyers end.

+1

I recently got stung on a pair of trousers that I didn't realise the seller was using UPS to send to me. Annoying!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads