• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US 2, Spain Nil!!!!!!!!!11!11!11

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity for the guys who are saying we shouldn't be celebrating this win too much: What would it take to get you to celebrate? Is any international victory outside of World Cup elimination rounds worthy of a little celebration?

Serious question.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
I think the best thing about the recent qualifiers and this tournament has been the scrutiny the team has been put under by the few press outlets that pay attention and the blogs. We're finally becoming more demanding fans. Of course, they've been predictably far too full of praise for the team after the past two wins.

Agreed 100%. That ass Trekker over at FoxSports finally came out and said that BB needs to be fired. Took long enough. I usually never agree with anything he says, but he finally got it right.

And I wish someone would call out BB on his hypocrisy (sp) over Adu versus Altidore and Beasley. How can he claim that Adu needs more playing time at the club level to get in the US side when neither Jozy nor Beas has had any?

Originally Posted by greekonomist
Note that I also fear (irrationally?) that Beckham will somehow get credit for this, since he plays in MLS.

I'm with you on this too. Ugh. I'll add that I'm already vomiting over the praise that Donavon is getting.

b

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
Just out of curiosity for the guys who are saying we shouldn't be celebrating this win too much: What would it take to get you to celebrate? Is any international victory outside of World Cup elimination rounds worthy of a little celebration?

Serious question.

It depends, imo.

Generally I think there are two tournaments that anyone should care about: the World Cup and your home confederation's tournament. So for us the Gold Cup. When invited to the Copa America and we send basically an expiremental youth side and we lose big, I don't care (had we won, that'd be another matter).

Friendlies are worth even less to me, unless they're meant to be prep for a tourny. Then if we're playing poorly I worry. A friendly that is just that and we're trying out young talent? Well, then it's fun to watch and I don't worry too much.

b

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Football is a funny game.
confused.gif
Great win for the U.S., and if we go on to win the tournament all the more power to them. Yes, people should celebrate, but keep in mind that these upsets occur pretty regularly, and with true minnows doing the upsetting. Our lack of standing and consistency on the world stage is understandable, but still highly embarassing given our resources.

Originally Posted by scarphe
do not get your head to high up in the sky, stupid **** happnes all the time in football. i still remember the a roma-empoli game that pissed people off.

When Totti's leg was broken?
confused.gif

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think the spanish drank to much sangria the night before...wtf

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
A) Yes, this is a big deal. Quite possibly one of the biggest upsets in sports history.

Um, no.

I understand this is a big deal, but let's put this in a little context. We're talking about a not insignificant, but ultimately rather minor, tournament. And while I think the difference between the skill level of the U.S. and Spain is quite large, the U.S. is, despite all the faults of the FIFA rankings, the 14th ranked team in the world who has had some moderate international success in the past. It's not like Nicaragua just beat Spain.

And for those saying this was the biggest win in U.S. history, I'd say it doesn't crack the top 5 in terms of important wins. My top five:

1. U.S. over England in 1950 World Cup. That was a legitimate shocking upset for all time. We were literally playing dudes off the street.
2. U.S. over Columbia in 1994 World Cup. Pele had picked Columbia as the team to beat in the World Cup that year.
3. U.S. over Mexico in 2002 World Cup. Put is in the quarterfinals. Enough said.
4. U.S. over Portugal in 2002 World Cup. So unbelievably improbable. Portugal was stocked with talent.
5. U.S. over Trinidad and Tobago in 1990 World Cup qualifying. Hadn't made the World Cup in a nearly 50 years. We were playing college kids. Just an amazing victory for the modern era of soccer in the country.

I'd put the Spain win at sixth; although, I would be willing to listen to arguments that the 1-0 win over Brazil in the 1998 Gold Cup final was bigger than the win yesterday. Brazil was the number one team in the world at the time, and it was in the finals of a tournament.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just another thing to ad about whose the best team...

Pinnacle (the sharpest book) has Brazil as the favorites to win the World Cup at +450 with Spain right behind at +475. Italy is +1350 to repeat.

The US is +5000 which seems a little low...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics