• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US 2, Spain Nil!!!!!!!!!11!11!11

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to say that it is ridiculous that this was one of the biggest upsets ever, but it isn't completely outrageous. Some books had the US +1500.

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by octopandda
Let's all calm down. It's only the semi final of the Confederations Cup. Not such a big deal as ESPN would like it to be.

+1

Pangolin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
So the European Championship doesn't mean anything to you?

It's only the European Championship (and I still think the Netherlands should have won it. They had the best team). As much as we European would like to think our championship is the most important one, it doesn't take into account excellent teams such as Brazil or Argentina.

millionaire75

Reaction score
Spain is still the best team in the world probably. Probably took the US too lightly and paid for it. 9 times out of 10, I would imagine Spain would beat them. After this, I would imagine Spain will still be ranked no 1.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's only the European Championship (and I still think the Netherlands should have won it. They had the best team). As much as we European would like to think our championship is the most important one, it doesn't take into account excellent teams such as Brazil or Argentina.

Reality and what you think seem to be at odds with one another.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
Spain is still the best team in the world probably. Probably took the US too lightly and paid for it. 9 times out of 10, I would imagine Spain would beat them. After this, I would imagine Spain will still be ranked no 1.

Do you think this will move the US up at all? Currently at 14. I guess it depends on how we play in the next couple games.

Pangolin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
Reality and what you think seem to be at odds with one another.

Not at all. My point is, you simply can't say Spain is the world's best team only because they won the UEFA last summer. Their loss today is a good enough illustration of that.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Not at all. My point is, you simply can't say Spain is the world's best team only because they won the UEFA last summer. Their loss today is a good enough illustration of that.

We say that they are the best in the world because, frankly, they are ranked as the number one team by the ranking authority in the world. It's that simple.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
octopandda has a point. Confederations Cup is far from important in the grand scheme of things, and would not garner much attention even in the US had the national team not done so well. For one, the participants pool is extremely limited. You wouldn't hear national football officials around the world claiming they'd love to attend this tournament; participating in the Cup is for all intents and purpose a very very secondary bonus of winning their respective continental tournament (which is far more important). Teams prepare 6+ months, if not years for the World Cup or the Euro, not for the Confederations Cup.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm serious. As far as I'm concerned, Italy is still the reigning champion, until 2010.

confused.gif

Spain is No.1 because they have a 15 match win streak which is an international record and because they have a 35/6 match unbeaten streak in international play which is tied with Brazil as an international record. What more do they have to do in order to be ranked no. 1 in your opinion?

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best thing about this game:

Michael Bradley won't get to play in the final, meaning daddy will be forced to play Feilhaber from the start.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads