• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Urinal Etiquette/Behavior

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
So, you're standing at the urinal, doing your thing. There may or may not be someone next to you. Regardless, where do you look?

Dan

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I use that time to unfocus my eyes and space out as much as possible, while remaining somewhat paranoid about the possibility of being pickpocketed while in a bad position to run after the perpetrator.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Frst of all, urinal SPACING is important too... you NEVER, unless given no other options, stand directly beside someone pissing. If there are three urinals, and someone is using the middle one, go to a stall. If there is no stall...and you really have to go, never look at the other person, do not turn your head, do not under any circumstances give them "the nod" There is tile on the wall for a reason. It gives you something to stare at other than yourself. (which IMO is kind of freaky...its like you are trying to get other people to look...which is not cool)

Also, do not stand back from the urinal while doing the deed. And do not walk away without tucking your tool in first.

god... there are so many... must stop...

johnw86

Reaction score
I'm waiting for Fabienne and Alexis to weigh in with a post.
biggrin.gif

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for Fabienne and Alexis to weigh in with a post. Â
biggrin.gif
I think it might have been something like a Planet Hollywood or a Hard Rock cafe. I caught a glimpse of the men's restroom, and they had TV sets in front of each urinal (Football game oblige).

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regardless, where do you look?

Well preferably at the wall. However, I've never quite figured out why men are so afraid of using the middle urinal if both urinals beside him are occupied. You're all there to do the same thing, we all have the same equipment, get over yourself and go. But please, button up before you turn around to wash your hands...

A.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the urinal moment that is most fraught with uncomfortable opportunity is at a sports arena, when there are actually lines awaiting the facilities.

I've found it charmingly weird that there seems to be some innate rule about how far back from the urinals a line should form. Seems to be about four feet.

And it always seems that I get in the line behind the chap with prostate trouble; the lines all move at good speed until He hits the head, and then all other lines progress through the ranks and my guy can't do the deed. I almost want to ask the fellow if he needs help with something. I mean, man, how long can it take to empty one's bladder?

And don't even get me started about the peril of wearing leather-soled shoes into a communal men's room. Eeeeuuuwwww. Or how 'bout you wash your hands (isn't it amazing how many people don't?.?), toss the towel into the bin, and then realize you've got to grab a handle to let oneself out the door?

Sorry...I guess I got a little carried away here.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the urinal moment that is most fraught with uncomfortable opportunity is at a sports arena, when there are actually lines awaiting the facilities.
Even worse if the arena bathroom has a urine "trough" instead of individual urinals . . .

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am guessing none of you guys wants to talk about a communnal pit latrine, eh?

Eric

Reaction score
Here's something that happened to me an hour ago.

I'm not homophobic, I have worked at a few retail clothing stores that were filled with gay men and I've gotten along with them fine, I even allow them to occationally hit on me without punching them in the face, I just laugh instead. That said...

I get up and start walking to the bathroom, I pass a few rows of cubicles on the way. I go into a stall to pee. I here someone else come into the bathroom, I pee and don't hear the other person peeing. I wash my hands and then I see that the other person in the bathroom is a gay guy from the row of cubicles next to me. He didn't pee. Then he washed his hands and left.

Now maybe I'm being paranoid or something, but I don't like the way the guy looks at me. And then I feel like he just followed me into the bathroom today. I am feeling pretty discusted with this, and I'm not sure what to do aside from just ignoring the dude completely from now on.

By the way, I definetly stare at a tile when I gotta go.

Eric

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Jeez, man, chill. He was probably just checking his hair or something. Unless he was peering through the cracks into your stall, don't worry about it.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a few weeks ago I went into the bathroom at my office and in one of the stalls were 2 pair of shoes, one behind the other. I sort of froze and thought about walking out, and then the door of the stall opened and a guy walked out, with a pair of boots in his hands - he had been changing shoes in the stall, but it looked like alittle party going on.

Eric

Reaction score
a few weeks ago I went into the bathroom at my office and in one of the stalls were 2 pair of shoes, one behind the other. I sort of froze and thought about walking out, and then the door of the stall opened and a guy walked out, with a pair of boots in his hands - he had been changing shoes in the stall, but it looked like  alittle party going on.
LOL globetrotter.

J, do you stand at a stall for a couple minutes to check your hair? He could have just not had to go after all, maybe I'm just being paranoid, but the guy is always looking at me weird. This isn't something that would normally bother me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads