• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

URGENT Q: Long pea coat, over a suit....

The_Knight

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's quite an emergency since I fly in two days....

Can I wear a long, black peacoat (extending till right above the knees) as an overcoat, over a grey suit for an important interview?

This is a serious interview, and I need to know if I should return the long peacoat and look for an overcoat...

Here's the photo of the peacoat (it really does have a nice slim fit for a peacoat):

...and that was my first post on Styleforum.net

Thanks guys!

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with a overcoat.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you like the coat...keep it. once you get to the interview, take off the coat and noone will notice.

The_Knight

Reaction score
I really have no other use for this coat... I bought it only for the interviews...

dasai

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's called a "bridge coat" if it goes down that far. A peacoat (and the officer's variant, the reefer jacket) is hip-length.

But anyway, probably nobody will notice what you're wearing as long as it actually fits over the suit (though I'm pretty sure they aren't designed to go over a jacket). The bridge coat can stay for more casual outings afterward.

On the other hand, if you don't see yourself wearing it with casuals, then exchange it for something else. A camel polo coat or navy guard's coat works better as a proper double-breasted overcoat; otherwise, a charcoal chesterfield or fawn covert coat both work well as single-breasted options.

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
I'd keep it. It should still look alright for the interview, and you'll probably find it useful for more casual coat applications later; the unbuttoned peacoat over tailored clothing look is one way you can add edge and casual interest to an otherwise more conservative look IMO.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd keep it. Nobody will question it. I wonder, though, are you going to be sitting on the other side of some dude's desk wearing your outerwear? You typically take that stuff off indoors. If the dude is just gonna see you wearing it when you shake his hand, it's totally fine as long as you're not wearing some Old Navy Performance Fleece or whatever.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it is that serious of an interview then you would not want to wear a pea coat over suit jacket.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.