• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

URGENT -- Protective heel & toe rubber taps

mg428

Reaction score
I am considering having my cobbler install protective taps on the sole of some of my shoes. The thing is that I have never used these before and I don't have so much idea about them. So I have a couple of questions and I will really appreciate if you can answer to them: 1) I will move to Eastern Europe very soon (hence the "URGENT" in the title) and I don't know whether I can find these taps should I require to replace them, which I will definitely. So I am considering buying here in the U.S. a bunch of these before I leave. But the thing is that I don't know how these things are installed, then removed, and a new one installed. Is it something that I can do by myself? Or would I require a cobbler to do it for me? Even if you think that I cannot do it by myself and will require a cobbler to do it for me, in this case may I use a blu-tack to stick the tap(s) on the the heel and/or toe? Do you think that it will be sticky enough so that the tap(s) would not fall when I walk? 2) As you will see in the attached photo, some people use these taps not only for heel, but also for toe. Do you think that the latter is necessary? 3) After reading the previous threads it is my understanding that these taps come in either rubber or metal. As per the pros&cons of each type, I definitely prefer rubber taps. Could you please confirm whether the taps on the attached photo are rubber or metal? IMO, it definitely does not look like metal, but it does not look so much like rubber. Many thanks in advance for your time and contributions. mg428

mg428

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

So when I just buy these taps, without having my cobbler install them for me, the packaging of the taps would include those nails, right?

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should be able to see in the packaging that the nails are there. Mine come with more than enough nails and I suppose you could buy small nails separately if it came to it. I can trash a heel pretty bad without much wear anywhere else on the sole so these are great for me. I put them on myself on these Allen Edmonds Niles in 8D which are for sale *cough check my signature *cough
devil.gif
I noticed my cobbler used a different style that takes 5 nails but 3 nails are fine. The nails are surprisingly slippery so the fewer the better anyway.
p1010063yh3.jpg

mg428

Reaction score
I really appreciate your posting a photo of your shoes with a heel tap.

mg428

Reaction score
OK, last question to everyone:

1) Does a heel tap substantially and adversely affect heel height and/or overall height of the shoe, create an imbalance or something, and due to these affect your comfort/walking?

2) Is it quite visible? Even if not, would you understand somebody using a heel tap on his shoes from how he walks or something like that?

Basically I am concerned whether these would create a weirdo look?

norymeoreason41

Reaction score
Any good online source for these toe taps? I'm sick of constantly touching up the black tips on my black Moras.

bandaloop

Reaction score
I have found the need to replace my heel taps after about 20 uses - the reason for this is the wood floors in my house and the nail heads can scratch the floors if the plastic has worn down around them.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just got my first pair of shoes with metal toe taps and I do like them. It will postpone needing to resole on account of the scuffing on the outside of the toe. For heels, I just get the rubber insert and have a local cobbler replace when necessary.

If you're moving to Eastern Europe, you might find someone there who does all this as a matter of course. Vienna and Budapest are famous for their high-end shoemakers, and someone's got to do the repair work. I think also that some of the Viennese have workshops in Romania. Anyway, you could ask around here or the London Lounge and get more specific advice I am sure. Costi on LL might be a good source.

billiebob

Reaction score
They are invisible to others when you are walking. No one will see them unless you are kneeling.

The Kiwi brand "Heel savers" includes 2 heel taps, two smaller toe taps, and 16 tiny but sharp nails for a whopping $2.50

You will be able to feel the heel taps while walking for a mile or two of pavement. After that, the heel tap will have worn so that the difference is *barely* noticeable. It's not a terrible feeling, but it makes the heel strike a little sharper because the heel is raised.

I used to allow my rubber heel lifts to wear down a bit such that the installation of the heel taps would bring the tap precisely flush with the plane of the rest of the heel, but I I have since decided this was too much of a pain. If the feeling of the heel taps bothers you while you walk, however, this strategy is is a sure solution.

The nail heads are soft metal and wear down evenly with the plastic for me, so no worries on wooden floors once the nails and plastic are worn flush. Until that time, you stand a good chance of denting your floor with the nail heads, which will protrude slightly above the plastic tap unless you smash the heck out of them, which is neither easy nor necessary.

The addition of Topy on some favorite shoes in addition to this heel and toe care will allow me to walk at least 100 miles on a pair before needing a resole.

Originally Posted by mg428

1) Does a heel tap substantially and adversely affect heel height and/or overall height of the shoe, create an imbalance or something, and due to these affect your comfort/walking?

2) Is it quite visible? Even if not, would you understand somebody using a heel tap on his shoes from how he walks or something like that?

koolhistorian

Reaction score
In Eastern Europe - depends really where are you moving - you will find metal taps, that all decent cobblers will put on your shoes. You should do some intelligence work among the local people - not the expat community - on who is the best cobbler (you might find also cordwainers ), give a tour of his shop, see what shoes is he working on, etc.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428

1) Metal heel taps are very thin and so do not make the shoe feel any different. The nylon or plastic taps (such as those picture above) do change the angle at which the heel rests on the ground slightly. However, I find that when I wear shoes with plastic heel taps, I cease to notice any difference after a minute or two. I don't think that it's worth worrying about.

2) No, not visible. Metal taps can make a little bit of noise (which actually I don't mind) but the plastic or nylon ones make no noise at all.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Nobody is answering this in my other thread so I resurrected this one.

After I have the heel savers put on, I walk around awkwardly clomping like I was in high heels. And I feel like I'm in high heels. What's wrong
confused.gif

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
Nobody is answering this in my other thread so I resurrected this one.

After I have the heel savers put on, I walk around awkwardly clomping like I was in high heels. And I feel like I'm in high heels. What's wrong
confused.gif

Are your heel taps metal or plastic?

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Where can I buy these heel taps and toe taps? What kind of stores sell them?

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads