• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(URGENT!)PROM HELP NEEDED!!!! MATCHING DIFFERENT PIECES OF A SUIT

Joshua Chukwuezi

Reaction score
Dear Gentleman,

I have a prom in a week and I recently had a burgundy three piece suit tailor-made in another country. The waistcoat and trousers fit perfectly. However the suit jacket is very tight and I don't think anything can be done to open up the jacket. I'm wondering if it would be a terrible mistake to get a grey jacket to wear on top of the burgundy waistcoat and trousers. I have money to spend on a new jacket but not on a new waistcoat or new trousers. But I'm desperate at this point and I need help with what color jacket to match. Someone with advice please answer. I am also thinking of wearing a black shirt with a grey tie. I am also wearing black tassel suede loafers with the suit. I have a gold watch and black sunglasses.

I'm desperate at this moment and need help.

Tacosauce

Reaction score
Do you have to wear a waistcoat? If you don't, whatever color jacket you wear with your burgendy pants will be fine. Go with a nuetral color shirt like white. I would stay away from the black shirt.

If you must wear the waistcoat, then go with whatever color jacket you want. You will draw attention, but if that's what your going for then that's fine. At the end of the night it's just clothes.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh. I know this isn't what the original poster is looking for but I feel obliged to rant briefly on the sad state of prom culture in America. Time was when prom was a chance for young men to wear their best suit and shiniest shoes somewhere other than church--that is, to impress young ladies not the Lord, perhaps with a peacocky tie and pocket square. Of course today few young men own tailored clothes and possibly not even a shirt with buttons. Their fathers, not much better dressed, are ill equipped to offer sartorial advice, much less a decent necktie.

So prom has become a frantic exercise in rounding up polyester clown clothes, rented or bought, that will never be worn again.

A modest proposal: Schools should promote prom as a chance for young men to purchase clothing that will signify their matriculation into the larger world, be that college or a trade. At its most basic that means putting together a pair of tailored trousers, a versatile blazer, a decent dress shirt and a pair of leather or suede shoes with laces, not Velcro straps. These are clothes that any young man, whether a college student or plumber's apprentice, can wear at the various "grownup" events that he will inevitably encounter.

On prom night these wardrobe staples can be augmented with a fancy bow tie and pocket square, plus the ubiquitous boutonnière. Wacky socks should be allowed but never encouraged.

The next morning, our young charges may still wake up with a pounding hangover but they will also have the beginnings of a big-boy wardrobe that will carry them into the adult world with far more confidence than they likely exhibited on the dance floor.

Maljunulo

Reaction score
Sadly, I must agree with maxalex.

We are now at least two generations into people who have no clue how to dress.

RoseGardener

Reaction score
Ugh. I know this isn't what the original poster is looking for but I feel obliged to rant briefly on the sad state of prom culture in America. Time was when prom was a chance for young men to wear their best suit and shiniest shoes somewhere other than church--that is, to impress young ladies not the Lord, perhaps with a peacocky tie and pocket square. Of course today few young men own tailored clothes and possibly not even a shirt with buttons. Their fathers, not much better dressed, are ill equipped to offer sartorial advice, much less a decent necktie.

So prom has become a frantic exercise in rounding up polyester clown clothes, rented or bought, that will never be worn again.

A modest proposal: Schools should promote prom as a chance for young men to purchase clothing that will signify their matriculation into the larger world, be that college or a trade. At its most basic that means putting together a pair of tailored trousers, a versatile blazer, a decent dress shirt and a pair of leather or suede shoes with laces, not Velcro straps. These are clothes that any young man, whether a college student or plumber's apprentice, can wear at the various "grownup" events that he will inevitably encounter.

On prom night these wardrobe staples can be augmented with a fancy bow tie and pocket square, plus the ubiquitous boutonnière. Wacky socks should be allowed but never encouraged.

The next morning, our young charges may still wake up with a pounding hangover but they will also have the beginnings of a big-boy wardrobe that will carry them into the adult world with far more confidence than they likely exhibited on the dance floor.

I agree, but what you propose would be impossible to implement in the US. Let's say that schools, couldn't even agree on a common curriculum, how could they agree on a "dress code" or "dress recommendation" to the graduating young men? Luckily, we still have popular movies like James Bond to remind younger generation that traditional wear could be fun and dapper.

I am sitting in a popular coffee place in Silicon Valley, I got to say people, well men, dress like ****.

jaxenro

Reaction score
Doesn’t help this one with his problem though.
Personally I can’t think of anything formal that would work. What fabric are the pants? A textured sports coat, like a check or tweed, with some color in it would work but is much more casualand not with the waistcoat. And throw out the black shirt go with white. If you insist on the waistcoat get different pants. A burgundy waistcoat would add a splash of color to a light and dark grey outfit. But mix the textures up, patterned pants and smooth jacket or the reverse. Burgundy waistcoat, mid grey pants, and a grey tweed or houndstooth jacket might work

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Gentleman,

I have a prom in a week and I recently had a burgundy three piece suit tailor-made in another country. The waistcoat and trousers fit perfectly. However the suit jacket is very tight and I don't think anything can be done to open up the jacket. I'm wondering if it would be a terrible mistake to get a grey jacket to wear on top of the burgundy waistcoat and trousers. I have money to spend on a new jacket but not on a new waistcoat or new trousers. But I'm desperate at this point and I need help with what color jacket to match. Someone with advice please answer. I am also thinking of wearing a black shirt with a grey tie. I am also wearing black tassel suede loafers with the suit. I have a gold watch and black sunglasses.

I'm desperate at this moment and need help.

I’d suggest a black jacket in your situation.

jaxenro

Reaction score
I’d suggest a black jacket in your situation.

Actually your peers would probably think that’s really good. Just don’t take any pictures you don’t want to see 20 years from now

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
There's not a huge difference between suit pants and individual trousers, except for the fact that the pants were made with a suit in mind. Get any old blazer, or sweater, or nothing (IE just a dress shirt), and you're good. In the last case, a good belt would be great.

I wouldn't really wear a waistcoat at all, ever really.

useless_username

Reaction score
All the signs are there: the urgency, the outrageous suit, the tasteless accessories, etc. The part about black tassel loafers is a dead giveaway. He's baiting. And you fell for it.

I believe the technical term is a 'troll'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads