• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

URGENT HELP - Am looking to buy an OMEGA Seamaster - but which size/model?

Flashman

Reaction score
Hello,

I know there are a lot of watch/Omega related threads already and I have read quite a few which have been very helpful and interesting. So I apologise in advance for starting another - but I need a little specific advise and would be grateful for your thoughts.

Firstly - a few background facts. I already own a a pre-owned Omega (gold bracelet) DeVeille watch which I have had a for few years. Very nice, understated and goes well with my gold wedding band and signet ring (on the other hand).
But I have long wanted to buy (treat myself) to a brand new Seamaster. However I like to earn my treats and felt it would be good if I had an occasion which would make it less than just an aimless treat. To explain, last year I gave myself am Aston Martin as a treat for completing 2 law degrees and qualifying as a lawyer (barrister) and setting up my own consultancy successfully working into its 2nd year at the time.

I also purchased my wife an Omega (ladies version of a Seamaster look-alike) as a gift for having our first baby. At that time i tried on a few Seamasters for size - but left undecided on size in the main. Since doing a little more reading (here and elsewhere) I am still unsure about he size and now the specific model.

1. Re: Size

I have always been a little less than enthusiastic about overtly large size watches - as they are often associated with rich footballers and newly rich people with little taste/class - but more importantly they can be a bot too big on my wrist and also I wear suits 5 days a week so, discreet and understated elegance is my preferred position. Anyway, the circa 36mm seemed like a good size - but should I overlook aforementioned reasons and go with the more well known larger size - if so which?circa 41mm seems to be the other option.

2. Re: Model
I just wanted a black face silver bracelet Seamaster - not caring too much if it had the multiple little dials or not. A little further reading I have now learnt a bit more about the models it seems the one I am liking more is the Omega Seamaster 300M Chronometer Gents Watch (Professional) -
circa 36-37mm
http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Omega-Seamaster-300M-Chronometer-Gents-Watch/p/17330820/
circa 41mm
http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Omega-Seamaster-300M-Gents-Watch/p/17330822/

But whilst reading I learn about a model known as 2254.50 -
- what is so good about this model?
- how does it differ to the model I have taken a liking to?
- what is the model number of the one I like and how is it properly referred to?

The main reason is that I plan to make my purchase next weekend and would be guided by any of your advise.

I am most keen on the smaller (or medium as it is often called) size but don't want to make an uneducated purchase.
it is also a justified treat as a personal business target will have been reached by next week and I wanted to treat myself to the long awaited watch.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

kakaman

Reaction score
2254 is the older model with an older movement, the new one is 2220. There are slight aesthetic differences, but for the most part are basically the same. It's a good watch, probably the most famous Omega watch due to its Bond relation. If you are looking for a smaller Seamaster, check out the Aqua Terras. A bit more understated, but still solid.

htimsdj

Reaction score

2254.50 only way to go

Flashman

Reaction score
Ok, not many people were particularly forthcoming with any tips - but I kept looking into this.

I have come to the following 2 final options -

1. The Omega Seamaster 300M Chronometer Gents Watch 17330820 Priced £2,770.00

Its the watch the initially caught my eye and I REALLY like the design plus it is a nice medium size (36.25mm).

However, then I learnt about...

2. The Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Gents Watch 17330830 £3,950.00

Its allegedly the 007 watch (not a big deal, but still) also it apparently has more kudos as a result of being a 'Planet Ocean' model. It is a nice 37mm size - which is good.

So -

a.Look wise - they are close - BTH I must admit the first watch just looks better for me.

b. The other factor of 330m v 600m does not really matter as I dont even go swimming these days let alone deep sea diving!

c. The price is almost £1000 - but these are special purchases and I expect this to be a lifer...so £k is not a big deal on that point.

At the moment - I am leaning towards the second one - just so I don't look back an think I should have gone for it. If only it looked as 'black' as the first one.:confused:

Flashman

Reaction score
Ok, went for it and after a long discussion with the sales rep - got the Planet Ocean 37mm in black face with silver bracelet. Very heavy compared to my DeVille every day watch of past 7-8 years but like it still.:)

Flashman

Reaction score
...here it is.

Flashman

Reaction score
Thanks. Wore it today all day - first day. Will take a little getting used to the weight.

Last edited:

bearsfan172

Reaction score
They make a mens planet ocean with the 37 mm face? The only one I can seem to find online is the womens...

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nice watch - i was going to suggest the Planet Ocean with the Aston Martin grille-inspired face (since you own the car) but you already pulled the trigger

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics