• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Urgent Fit Critique

Clipper

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got my first decent suit for interviews coming up, and wanted to make sure that this suit is a good fit for me / what alterations are needed. It is a 40s Napoli from SuitSupply. I plan on having the sleeves lengthened. Also noticed something strange about how the pants fall below the crotch area, but not sure if that can be tailored.

Nine Miler

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think the "short" is right for you. That's a lot to move the sleeves, plus the jacket looks short, and the rise on the pants looks rather low. All of those issues would be mitigated with a "regular". Everything else looks fine, except that maybe the waist needs to be let out.

Clipper

Reaction score
Thanks, makes sense. Will check out the regular.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the suit Black?
That's an SF "no,no"
Also, is it returnable?
For the reasons re: fit stated above,plus the color,
I think you could do much better.
In what field are you interviewing?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Put shoes on and re-take pics.
(Unless you wear suits w/o shoes.)

Clipper

Reaction score
Put shoes on and re-take pics.
(Unless you wear suits w/o shoes.)
I can hem it wherever I need to, not sure that is relevant.

Is the suit Black?
That's an SF "no,no"
Also, is it returnable?
For the reasons re: fit stated above,plus the color,
I think you could do much better.
In what field are you interviewing?

The suit is gray, sorry about the lighting. I'm interviewing primarily for corporate finance / banking roles, however I also want this to generally be my go to suit as it is the only one I have.

It is returnable. How far should the jacket go in your opinion? This one covers ******, and I had read in the Flusser book that is enough. I'm a little on the short end, 5'8, so I thought a short jacket might make me look a littler taller.

Last edited:

alessandromo

Reaction score
The shoulders look good. I'd consider having the side seams taken in a little though which will make it more flattering. Also agree that the regular will probably be a better fit given the sleeve length. If you have working buttons (i'm pretty sure the napoli does) and you have the sleeves lengthened, you will end up with a big gap between the end of the sleeve and the buttons.

If you end up exchanging it for the regular, post some more pics!

Last edited:

Clipper

Reaction score
Thanks guys, looks like the consensus is to trade up to a regular. Will give it a try.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do newcomers persist in trying suits without wearing shoes? Absolutely crazy - unless they walk about without shoes. It affects the fit of the whole garment,

The coat is far too short and the trousers may be too long. Send it back and go to a bricks and mortar shop where you can try the garments and thus avoid wasting everyone's time.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Holy Bejabbers, this must be from their new Primate Line.

Last edited:

Clipper

Reaction score
Why do newcomers persist in trying suits without wearing shoes? Absolutely crazy - unless they walk about without shoes. It affects the fit of the whole garment,

The coat is far too short and the trousers may be too long. Send it back and go to a bricks and mortar shop where you can try the garments and thus avoid wasting everyone's time.

I'm assuming that the reason is because like me they are they totally unaware that affects the fit. Will certainly wear shoes when I post pictures with the bigger jacket. Thanks.

Holy Bejabbers, this must be from their new Primate Line.

Err... All humans are primates. I think maybe next time you should go with Neanderthal or Gorilla or something. Thank you for overshadowing my ignorance of suit fitting with your far more egregious kind :)

Poloboy

Reaction score
Great fit if you aspire to look like PEE.WEE HERMAN.

Nine Miler

Reaction score
You guys are going too far. It's not a total disaster, give him a break it's just not the best camera angle.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You guys are going too far. It's not a total disaster, give him a break it's just not the best camera angle.

Camera angle? Nonsense

The man asked for a fit critique, there is no point in misleading him. We all had to learn.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Before you decide on the size, spend an hour or two trying on different brands even at higher price points. Every maker has a different proportion, fit, shoulder, etc. Try on as many as you can and pay attention to how they differ and you start to see what looks more to your liking and aesthetic that is flattering to you. If a larger mens store that carries multiple brands is in your area it will be easier. Tell the salesperson that you are there to figure out what silhouette is best for you. Their eyes may glaze over or they may know a thing or two and be very helpful. If the person says everything looks great on you, that is not helpful.You may find a better made suit, on sale, for about the same money that will be better looking and a better fit.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads