• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

URGENT Car Buying Situation - Need Advice on Negotiation

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
bring someone with you to tell you that first offer is too high. Make them the 3rd party, just like he's going to be using his sales manager as his 3rd party. Then when (if) they come back, if it's in your budget, take it. If not, now I'd come out with my own number.

I just read this, but I actually did this. When he offered to sell me the car at my price, but without the extended warranty, I told him I wanted to call my dad and talk it over. After that I just told him my dad is loaning me the money and he won't let me budge.
smile.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I just read this, but I actually did this. When he offered to sell me the car at my price, but without the extended warranty, I told him I wanted to call my dad and talk it over. After that I just told him my dad is loaning me the money and he won't let me budge.
smile.gif

Good lie. Now while you're waiting for them to take your bait, find another car that's extremely similar, even if you don't want it, and start bidding on that. That way, if they call you back, you can say "I got a quote from so-and-so for x. But I really don't like them and you guys have been good to me. Do you think you can match it?"

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPDATE As we left off Thursday night, I wanted to give him $16K, he wanted $16.4 (plus the camry.) I've decided I'm prepared to do $16.4K after some thinking. I drove by the dealership Friday night after hours, and it was still there but there was a SOLD sign in the window!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
In the corner the sign was dated July 22 - the day I was there (I left about an hour before the dealership closed) I called this morning (not mentioning i was there last night) and offered him $16.2K - he said he'd keep that in mind but someone else has put an brought it pending financing and he know for sure by Monday. What are the odds this is a bluff? What are the odds this is real? I can give him $16.4K, but I don't want to end up in some kind of bidding war here. Please advise!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't the supply of 2006 Accords pretty close to infinite?

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dunno if you have any Carmax's where you live, but they pay more than dealerships pay for your old car.

When I was looking to trade in my Nissan Frontier, I was getting offers for about 6k and change, but carmax gave me 8.5k.

Also, a bit of advice when buying a car . . . patience. Unless your car is not working, just step back and take your time to look. There are lots of cars, and lots of deals. Do not be hasty.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
UPDATE

As we left off Thursday night, I wanted to give him $16K, he wanted $16.4 (plus the camry.) I've decided I'm prepared to do $16.4K after some thinking. I drove by the dealership Friday night after hours, and it was still there but there was a SOLD sign in the window!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
In the corner the sign was dated July 22 - the day I was there (I left about an hour before the dealership closed)

I called this morning (not mentioning i was there last night) and offered him $16.2K - he said he'd keep that in mind but someone else has put an brought it pending financing and he know for sure by Monday.

What are the odds this is a bluff? What are the odds this is real? I can give him $16.4K, but I don't want to end up in some kind of bidding war here. Please advise!

He totally has you hooked. If you can't walk away from a deal, you're his fresh meat.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
He totally has you hooked. If you can't walk away from a deal, you're his fresh meat.
Yep. But he doesn't seem to realize that as he keeps going back to the well. So, other than hoping that the guy with the credit falls through, is there any way to get back the upper hand here? I don't think so.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't read this whole thread but here's what I can tell you about buying a car, this is the only rule of buying a car you need to know... If by the end of negotiating your price you are not halfway out of the door with the sales MANAGER asking you to wait another 10 minutes to see what he can do, then you have not paid the cheapest price.

Therefore, if you walked out, they were not willing to even engage at your price point (or the salesmen was stupid or lazy, it's hard to account for all variables)

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Isn't the supply of 2006 Accords pretty close to infinite?
Yes.. but ones with the beige leather interior are limited (about 10% of the Accords on the market from what I've seen) - if I wanted black, this thread wouldn't exist.
I am aware that I am getting more attached to this car as time goes on despite knowing the rule that "no car should be sacred" when you're looking for cars. But I do want that car because I think it's the right car for me (right model, features, trim, price-point, etc) and I am growing weary of searching for cars. I managed to find 4 other Accords online in the province with beige interiors that are within my price range, but they all are either a V6 (which I don't want) or have higher mileage than what I'd like, plus they are in another city. For that reason I'm willing to go after this one, plus I don't want to burn the deal over $400 since my current car is on its last legs. I slept on it and thought about it, if the car is there I will give him $16.4K, otherwise I walk hoping something better will pop up. I guess either way, I just want to end. Come hell or high water, I won't get into a bidding war with a guy who may not even be real who has bad credit.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
UPDATE Hey guys, thanks for all your advice. I was chatting with a bunch of co-workers today at lunch about my exact conundrum and I got a call from home... someone from the dealership called asking about a "customer satisfaction survey"
laugh.gif
After a bunch of back and forth with the salesman and the inspection of my dying car, I just laid out my terms saying $16,000 including all taxes and fees plus the keys to my camry regardless of what state its in (they want to give me $500 for that.) He took it to his manager and he said he could do that if I would waive the extended warranty. I talked it over with my dad who told me not to accept. I went back in and I didn't back down and it basically went into him pleading with me for something, anything to seal the deal (just give me another $400, $300, or $200.") Thats when I smelled fresh meat
devil.gif
I walked out of there pretty happy, and he actually called me on the way home saying "If you change your mind, call me direct on my cell phone"
bounce2.gif
In my estimation there's a 5% chance he actually won't budge and a 10% chance someone else will buy it, and about an 85% chance he will call me to seal the deal in a few days.

my freind..the beauty of a con is when the other guy makes you THINK HE IS LETTING YOU HAVE A DEAL AND ********* OVER,when in reality its the opposite. since you are paying cash...take $15K IN CASH and walk it over there and throw it on his desk...money talks bullshit walks (ive done this twice worked both times,altough less money...10K). and even if he tells you to fuckoff..why are you buying a ************* Honda to begin with...dude you live in Canada (so do i) the canadian winters are horrible on any metal made in Japan just look at some 10 year old hondas driving around...yes the engine will last forever but everything else rots away. buy yourself a Volvo (before it was owned by FORD) i drive one (S70 TURBO) and love it this ******* thing is a TANK has a 5 cylinder engine (more economic then a 6 more power then a 4) is fully loaded and has NO rust and its 10 years old ... and ive owned a few BMWs and MErcs...all in all $17K for a honda is expensive you can buy a 5 year old 3 series for half that...keep us updated

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics