Urban Outfitters Anonymous

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Nouveau Pauvre, Aug 18, 2008.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

I think UO has some pretty cool vintage-look tshirts. I got an obama tshirt there recently.

My most recent purchase is my lark and wolf steve alan green field jacket. I wear that to work almost every day these days.

2. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

I'm not ashamed that I've shopped and continued to shop at UO. Some of my favorite t-shirts are from there (and I'm not talking about "Beer Pong Champion" or stupid shit like that.)

BDG has a great bang/buck ratio. My $28 BDG hoodie gets more comments than my $120 Surface2Air hoodie.

My most recent purchase was an All-Son military shirt I ended up returning. The color was unappealing (army/canopy green is always such a difficult balancing act,) and because the sleeves were too tight. It's not like I'm any hulking adonis myself, but the arms were way too twiggy and hipsterish It was a military shirt for people who would never be allowed into the military.

3. theom-

theom- Senior member

I saw some koto stuff on sale today at UO. Atrocious fit. The body was way too wide and too short. It was like an exact copy of a W+H shawl collar, except that it sucked nuts. Tried on some pants. Terrible... I did pick up some really cool toddland tshirts though.

4. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

The comments about AA stores are interesting. There aren't even that many AA stores, are there? I live in a city of millions and we don't have one. I think I have to drive 6 hrs to reach one. But I had zero idea the stores had an odd vibe. I look at the site and I just see basics.
    Come to Vancouver, there's one every freakin' 6 blocks.

5. dubcbadass

dubcbadass Senior member

I have feelings similar to many in this thread. That said, my favorite belt is a madras patchwork cloth belt that was a gift from my girlfriend. It is my default belt with solid colored tops/bottoms (I am too anal to wear it with patterned tops or bottoms because of the pattern mixing... socks/boxers are the only exception here).

Also, I think I made some decent purchases yesterday at UO, the first purchases I've ever made there myself.

First, I tried on Vans chukkas with the intent to kop them, but the quality just seemed so terrible so I abstained. It was the first time that I actually evaluated them with a critical eye and touch. My Jack Ps are so much better for the small difference in price. I will be replacing my Jack Ps with another pair of Jack Ps or something slightly higher zoot. Are all Vans similarly badly constructed?

Then, after looking at the rest of the shoes, I waltzed around the perimeter of the mens' floor. I found the Koto chambray shirt that Robbie has but it was on sale. Instant kopulation. For me, my first chambray, and seems like a decent enough entry into the chambray world.

Also on the perimeter, some byCORPUS striped shorts. Quality was decent (comparable to other mall-ish stores) and fit was alright, too. Too bad no odd sizes because I (normally at 30 or less waste in jawns) was a little squeezed in 32s and swimming in 34s. So, I copped as they are lightweight and I will be travelling in warm climes soon.

Then, I feel like I hit the mother lode. On the 19.99 shoe rack was a pair of leather wingtips which looked to be nicer than the typical UO house brands kicks in 8, my dress shoe size. They turned out to be Bostonians. I did some smartphone research and discovered they were somehow connected to Clarks USA and Zappos or some such thing and therefore couldn't be too terrible. They didn't have creases from being tried on or anything and the soles were not worn at all, still having all of their injection mold nubs or whatever on them. So, I copped.

For me, someone who is just trying to up my style quotient from typical college bro (think khakis and a lacoste polo/j crew ocbd, never too oversized, but not well fitting either, with rainbows or driving mocs or boat shoes or Jack Ps) to something slightly more urbane and sophisticated, I think all of these will enhance my budding improved wardrobe and go with what I already gots. Stuff is all decent and all not at full retail price, so I think I did alright. Anyone got comments or critiques on my logic here?

6. zissou

zissou Senior member

I saw some koto stuff on sale today at UO. Atrocious fit. The body was way too wide and too short. It was like an exact copy of a W+H shawl collar, except that it sucked nuts. Tried on some pants. Terrible...

Same here. I tried on one of the workshirts just for the hell of it. They would probably need to be marked down to $10 before I'd actually consider buying one. And even then I probably wouldn't wear it.

7. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

The cotton peacoat thing looks good on me worn open at least. Same with the workshirt when worn as a light summer jacket. I don't rock the workwear stuff really though

8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Went into a UO for the first time in awhile, actually last time I was in there I just did fast fashion and really didn't care.

The thing about UO is their is tons and tons of things that are complete shit in the store and about 1-2 things that would be worth buying for a fair price. Its up to you if you think its worth looking through every rack of theirs, for me its not.

9. Doin' Fine.

Doin' Fine. Senior member

I have feelings similar to many in this thread. That said, my favorite belt is a madras patchwork cloth belt that was a gift from my girlfriend. It is my default belt with solid colored tops/bottoms (I am too anal to wear it with patterned tops or bottoms because of the pattern mixing... socks/boxers are the only exception here).

Also, I think I made some decent purchases yesterday at UO, the first purchases I've ever made there myself.

First, I tried on Vans chukkas with the intent to kop them, but the quality just seemed so terrible so I abstained. It was the first time that I actually evaluated them with a critical eye and touch. My Jack Ps are so much better for the small difference in price. I will be replacing my Jack Ps with another pair of Jack Ps or something slightly higher zoot. Are all Vans similarly badly constructed?

Then, after looking at the rest of the shoes, I waltzed around the perimeter of the mens' floor. I found the Koto chambray shirt that Robbie has but it was on sale. Instant kopulation. For me, my first chambray, and seems like a decent enough entry into the chambray world.

Also on the perimeter, some byCORPUS striped shorts. Quality was decent (comparable to other mall-ish stores) and fit was alright, too. Too bad no odd sizes because I (normally at 30 or less waste in jawns) was a little squeezed in 32s and swimming in 34s. So, I copped as they are lightweight and I will be travelling in warm climes soon.

Then, I feel like I hit the mother lode. On the 19.99 shoe rack was a pair of leather wingtips which looked to be nicer than the typical UO house brands kicks in 8, my dress shoe size. They turned out to be Bostonians. I did some smartphone research and discovered they were somehow connected to Clarks USA and Zappos or some such thing and therefore couldn't be too terrible. They didn't have creases from being tried on or anything and the soles were not worn at all, still having all of their injection mold nubs or whatever on them. So, I copped.

For me, someone who is just trying to up my style quotient from typical college bro (think khakis and a lacoste polo/j crew ocbd, never too oversized, but not well fitting either, with rainbows or driving mocs or boat shoes or Jack Ps) to something slightly more urbane and sophisticated, I think all of these will enhance my budding improved wardrobe and go with what I already gots. Stuff is all decent and all not at full retail price, so I think I did alright. Anyone got comments or critiques on my logic here?

Good cops, and most most vans will survive a fuckin' air raid. Just BTW. Maybe those specific chukkas just sucked.

10. clarity

clarity Senior member

I have some bdg basics, good stuff. I just winged it and ordered em from the web store. I got some blazer too but it sees minimal wear, prob shoulda returned it but it didn't cost much so meh.

Never been in a store though. Not even sure if there is one within an hour or two hour drive of me anyways.

11. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

The other day i was at UO and bought the byCorpus colorblock sweatshorts, but they were marked down to $10 and for that price they are good for a comfy pair of shorts. Also got a black nylon/cotton fishtail style unlined parka for $10 and a white bdg t-shirt that fits me really well and is a soft, thin, semi-sheer material.

Tried on some of the Koto stuff, i dont think i would buy it even if marked down to $10.. it just didnt fit me well at all and i dont think workear inspired stuff like that works in the fast-fashion context of lower quality materials/construction.

The way the store was set up made it really hard/tedious to sort through all the crap. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to how the clothes are displayed. Nothing is really grouped by either type or brand. I think they should at least keep all the piece from a particular collab together but they dont. I wanted to check out the Yoko D stuff... i only saw 2 things ( a striped jacket and some khaki shorts) and they were no where near each other, there may have been more but who knows where it would have been.
    Also all the stuff on hangers was packed onto the racks so tightly that you could hardly move anything, even just to check the size.

12. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

koto is a godsend for us poor folks.

quit sippin on that hater-ade.

13. unicornwarrior

unicornwarrior Senior member

koto seemed pretty alright when I saw it in the store. I haven't tried it on, largely because I don't have enough time during my lunch break.

14. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

With any luck someone will return a pair of RW's to the one here in Omaha and they'll sit there just like the bed stu's have and no one will buy them for months and months and then BAM! there I'll be with 60$ and I will walk out wearing them like a champ

when i was at UO the other day there was a lone, random pair RWs sitting in the back of the store with the sale shoes. Brown gentlemen travelers, i think they were size 8. I was hoping they'd be marked down crazy cheap, but they were still like $200 so i didnt even try them on or anything... i guess it'd be worth my time to check back in a month or so and see if they get discounted deeply.

15. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

Has anybody tried on or checked out any of the velour collab items? I havent seen them at my UO, and have been curious how the quality/fit is bc I kinda like two pieces from that bit.