• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Urban Outfitters Anonymous

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Workwear!?! Hell, I'm going to use them as my source for ersatz wolf shirts now, cuz I was born to roam, baby.

Hope you manage to pick up some wife-beaters too. Gotta show off those guns.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with UO in terms of clothing? I realize their marketing practices are a bit shady, but the stuff you can get on clearance is great (retail... not so much).

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UO isn't easy to shop at. The store near me has like one tenth of what is available online and online shipping is rarely free. On top of that, a surprising number of items turn out to be tissue paper thin once you get your hands on them. They look good on the rack or online, but it's a trick! The fits and sizes are all over the place, naturally.

But like anywhere else, there are rare gems and the sale rack can let you test a new look. The stories of failed purchases probably started as experiments, anyway. Win some, lose some.

buffalojump

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
Their **** is generally mediocre quality-wise, but no worse than say, H&M, if you cop on sale.

BTW, Jane from sufu made their style blog recently. So they're not completely clueless...

jane said she didn't pick her "picks".
eh.gif

I still use a wonderbread sandwich container I picked up in t.o years ago.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
i like my koto chambray, a lot.

i like that UO has put pieces I like in a market I can drive to, instead of just clicking on

There are those of us with minimal options and even fewer resources who get giddy when certain pieces they'd like are made easier to attain via UO and the like. With any luck someone will return a pair of RW's to the one here in Omaha and they'll sit there just like the bed stu's have and no one will buy them for months and months and then BAM! there I'll be with 60$ and I will walk out wearing them like a champ

I like UO, I don't feel there is anything about liking it or shopping there that should elicit any other sort of response.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Then again, robbie, you live in omaha so aren't around an entire subculture spawned by or at least aided by UO. I know what you mean though.

If you ignore the connotations (it does have them) and just buy a few select pieces to work with what you wear, it's fine. Especially, if you're very price conscious. It's not the people like you, who pick and choose things like a chambray or red wings that people in this thread i'm guessing are complaining about. It's generally the people who are trying to act/dress like nyc hipsters from 2004-5 who treat UO as a holy grail and birth place of fashion/style/lifestyle that forumites are bothered by

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
yeah

how do you guys feel about AA (the store)

i would feel hella guilty shopping there

like a total trendslut

I get the 'grown up emokid' vibe anytime I've gone in. They remind me of that SNL skit from several years back with ... Kris Katan and Will Ferell. They just stare and ***** about stuff and totally ignore you in that odd high school "i know your there, you just aren't cool enough to acknowledge" way.

And then people sort of waltz about the place like its an art gallery or something, somber and trying so hard to be hip.

It was this way at the one in LA, as well as the one here. Like hipster mass or something. No one really wants to be there, but feel compelled to by whatever reason.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
going into an AA store makes me sick. i just buy the tees i need on ebay. 1/2 the price

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I do feel kinda uncomfortale walking in there and i haven't in forever (when the ex wanted to buy a hoodie or something). Like at UO, i usually try stuff on while she is to kill time but always an really underwhelmed by the way the stuff looks and how it fits. Always a few things just a bit off

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strangest thing.. i tried on a medium white thermal and I tried on the large as well. The large was massive like an XL, while the medium fit slim as hell.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I learned the hard way; I dropped so much money Sophomore-Junior year buying from UO; I didn't know any better.

jwied82

Reaction score
Last time i was in there i saw some generic surplus or something by Generic Man...
anyone else seen this?
i just shook my head and thought, OK, generic man are now on my list of brands not to shell out for (I always liked CP better anyway for being a pretty similar product).

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The comments about AA stores are interesting. There aren't even that many AA stores, are there? I live in a city of millions and we don't have one. I think I have to drive 6 hrs to reach one. But I had zero idea the stores had an odd vibe. I look at the site and I just see basics.

I know no one who wears their stuff and beyond tee's they get no press on here. What's with their other items?

nerich

Reaction score
i wear a few UO pieces. i got it second-hand, but i think my favorite casual jacket (plain dark grey cotton/linen) is from there. and i have a plain black wool hoodie that i wear almost every day. and a perfect fitting, if cheap, chambray work shirt. and a super soft and comfortable b&w gingham oxford shirt that i get compliments on every time i wear it.

but, come to think of it, almost every UO item i have and love is, completely by chance, by the same brand. Standard Cloth.

you can find nice stuff there, it just has to be on sale. and most of the store is awful.

i'm currently wearing my only AA tee and it's the worst fitting tshirt (for my body at least) that i own. i only keep it because it's a band shirt i like. i like UO tees much better. and they're cheaper.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads