• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Urban Living. Best Place in the U.S?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the best urban enclaves, or neighborhoods in the U.S. I am in need of a change, tired of CT. I am looking for a fun place with culture, activities, coffee houses, restaurants, and good public transportation. I'm not really concerned with crime but obviously I'm not looking to move to a ghetto. My goal for a while has been to move to Harlem but I am not able to afford the set up I was looking for. So I'm starting to research other cities. My preference would be an older city somewhere along the East Coast or South Eastern U.S.

mikemas22

Reaction score
hmmmm, carnegie hill, nyc is fine but it's also more expensive than harlem...

stuyvesant town, nyc? heard many good things about it and that it's still rent-controlled. plus you have the best of LES within easy reach.

my favourite would be the village though.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about Philly? I'm not that familiar with it, having only been there a couple times. But the Center City area has had a real resurgence, is my understanding. The real estate must be massively cheaper than NYC. And yet, you're a very short train ride to NYC.

Good restaurants, good theater, museums. Shopping, I assume, would be all right.

b

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Indianapolis

+1. A little lacking in the restaurant scene, but having Chicago and Cincy both relatively short drives away makes up for it. Cost of living is great, people are nice, city is nice, suburbs are nice-- especially Carmel and Fishers. Zoos, museums, tons of little interesting things to do, and it's really a fun city to just set a day off and explore. It's big enough to be fun to live in, but small enough to not worry about crime. Shopping is a little shaky, but everything you want you can buy online nowadays anyway. Can't get enough of that Midwestern hospitality (or waistline
lol8[1].gif
).

Edit: Oh, and, a big plus for Indy is that every single year that passes, it gets better.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
How about Philly? I'm not that familiar with it, having only been there a couple times. But the Center City area has had a real resurgence, is my understanding. The real estate must be massively cheaper than NYC. And yet, you're a very short train ride to NYC.

Good restaurants, good theater, museums. Shopping, I assume, would be all right.

b

+1

bc78

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
What are the best urban enclaves, or neighborhoods in the U.S. I am in need of a change, tired of CT. I am looking for a fun place with culture, activities, coffee houses, restaurants, and good public housing. I'm not really concerned with crime but obviously I'm not looking to move to a ghetto. My goal for a while has been to move to Harlem but I am not able to afford the set up I was looking for. So I'm starting to research other cities. My preference would be an older city somewhere along the East Coast or South Eastern U.S.

Brooklyn and Queens have great inexpensive neighborhoods that have many of those things and are only a quick train ride away from Manhattan. I've also heard really good things about Philly.

mikemas22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bc78
Brooklyn and Queens have great inexpensive neighborhoods that have many of those things and are only a quick train ride away from Manhattan. I've also heard really good things about Philly.

Speaking about queens, astoria seems nice.

dhinggok

Reaction score
I have been living in Philly for the past four years and I am not impressed. I am ready to get out of here.

D.C. or New York would be my suggestions, but it is pretty difficult to compare NYC with any city, in my opinion. It is much more expensive, but, imo, offers so much more than any other city in terms of places to go, things to do, etc.

Here is a cost of living calculator if you want to compare a few cities (from a financial standpoint):

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costo...tofliving.html

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808

b

I was in Philly for a few days last fall. I wasn't impressed; in fact, I was terribly disappointed. I had been there about 4 or 5 years prior and didn't enjoy it then, but thought this time would be different.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Edit: Oh, and, a big plus for Indy is that every single year that passes, it gets better.
This is the best part. The transformation in recent years has been tremendous.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads