• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Upscale Clubbing / Lounging

af1snaikboi

Reaction score
Ive done a few searches but have come to nothing.

Can anyone give me ideas on what would look good in an upscale lounge. Many of the individuals I will be around will be in college/graduate school.

If anyone could help me out I would appreciat it. I was thinking between the following

Coat , dress shirt, trousers
Blazer, dress shirt, jeans
Dress shirt , khakis.

Which of these would be most acceptable or what recommendations of your own would you recomend.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
black velvet blazer
white dress shirt
grey flannel pants
black wholecuts
white pocket square
no tie
unshaven

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything that doesn't make you look like you 'researched' what to wear.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What Fuuma said.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Depends how "upscale" it is.

I was expecting a thread about dinner vs. business vs. lounge suit.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
black velvet blazer
white dress shirt
grey flannel pants
black wholecuts
white pocket square
no tie
unshaven

That's actually not bad.

But it doesn't matter. It's whatever you can pull off.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
That's actually not bad. But it doesn't matter. It's whatever you can pull off.
anything to get people away from khakis, a type of pants that should never be worn in any situation involving other beings than your cat. I personally don't change to go out...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
anything to get people away from khakis, a type of pants that should never be worn in any situation involving other beings than your cat. I personally don't change to go out...
I wore khakis today. And a polo shirt.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I wore khakis today. And a polo shirt.
You played golf I guess it's ok then. Not that I really think golf is ok but the last time I "played" I was totally sloshed and trying to do 180s with the carts. This was not well received...Just to be funny I had bought a tight pink polos and some khakis.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fuuma, good advice with the list above (must shave, though!). I hear you reg. khakis being too ubiquitous and most people outside SF wear them terribly (ie jeans for the grown-up crowd). But compared to what you posted today, I'd gladly consider dockers+lacoste anytime, anywhere:
Sweatshirt blazer: Junya Watanabe for CdG Light purple flannel shirt: EpauletXSF Navy “carot shaped” high-waisted pants: Comme des Garçons Homme plus Purplish/burgundy shoes: Pierre Corthay Glasses: Alain Mikli
Sorry to post this here, but this pic is just too much for me to take today.

Lovellum

Reaction score
Blue and white striped shirt, brown tie, beige vest and matching flat front trousers. Brown captoes.

Or perhaps I'm just channeling the spirit of steampunk...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Fuuma, good advice with the list above (must shave, though!).

I hear you reg. khakis being too ubiquitous and most people outside SF wear them terribly (ie jeans for the grown-up crowd). But compared to what you posted today, I'd gladly consider dockers+lacoste anytime, anywhere:

Sorry to post this here, but this pic is just too much for me to take today.

I'm not looking for a traditional mc look and obviously enjoy playing with shapes and materials more than you guys but you should still follow my advice as I'm not encouraging him to dress like I do. Khakis suck, especially in a club setting, they make you look like a dork.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Fuuma's first post was reasonable. Khakis would be good if you were serving under Montgomery or an extra in Office Space.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads