• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Upper chest exercises

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
seems unlikely that your back would be overdeveloped, but i don't know enough. i spent 12 years swimming, quitting midway during my freshman year of college, and still try to do the same amount of work to my chest and back.

My back muscles are pretty developed. I used to do a lot of back lifting for the various sports I was involved in and don't really find it necessary to do equal sets any more. I will sometimes do pullups at home along with some other random exercises that target biceps as well like bent over rows, etc or lat pulldown, but I don't really worry about it any more.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try doing db incline then incline using a smith machine. That should pump the chest good.

another method is called the DC workout. It goes something like this: Get some dumbells that you can do incline flyes for 10 reps then still hold the db in the "air" for 20 seconds then do another set till failure then rest again for 20 seconds and repeat. Then move on to the next chest exercise using the same 20 second rest while holding the weight. It builds tension in the area and makes it grow.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
try doing db incline then incline using a smith machine.

Incline presses on a smith machine have the very real possibility of screwing up your shoulders.

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
My back muscles are pretty developed. I used to do a lot of back lifting for the various sports I was involved in and don't really find it necessary to do equal sets any more.

Which sports emphasis the back? Highland games?

lefty

migo

Reaction score
Nova do you not split? You should consider it...

Originally Posted by lefty
Incline presses on a smith machine have the very real possibility of screwing up your shoulders.

lefty

+1...I hate how machines limit your movement...they're ok for a few exercises (like certain leg ones) or when you want to get the same work out for left and right sides (For example, I've had to use a row machine lately because I noticed one of my lats was getting to be a bit bigger than the other).

gvibes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Which sports emphasis the back? Highland games? lefty
If he played football, which is likely, then he probably did a ton of deadlifts, cleans and squats.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by migo
Nova do you not split? You should consider it...
you mean like doing legs and back one day, and then chest and arms another?

i did it back in college, after i quit the swim team. i did the above split (i might have done biceps with the back, can't remember) and it was fairly effective - taking me from 130-135 to about 150 or 155 in about 14 or 15 months.

splitting doesn't work for me, timewise, today. i have a 50-60 hour a week job plus law school at night (even in the summer i'm taking one class, tuesday and thursday night). i'm pretty much limited to two workouts a week, so they have to be whole body routines.

+1...I hate how machines limit your movement...they're ok for a few exercises (like certain leg ones) or when you want to get the same work out for left and right sides (For example, I've had to use a row machine lately because I noticed one of my lats was getting to be a bit bigger than the other).

i keep telling myself that i'll use the free weights at the gym at school (supposedly free), and it never happens. i don't even know where it is on the campus. again, too much time pressure, and my aprtment gym is open from 5:30 am to midnight, and guy lets me go later if i want. but yeah, free weights are a hell of a lot better.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gvibes
If he played football, which is likely, then he probably did a ton of deadlifts, cleans and squats.

yes and yes, I still do squats and deadlifts but limit the weight after I've gone through a few knee surgeries, though.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But squats and deadlifts only work your lower back muscles, not the upper ones, no?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
But squats and deadlifts only work your lower back muscles, not the upper ones, no?

Yes but if you look at my lifts, my back lifts are all targeted at upper back (shrug, high row) and I incorporate bent over raises as part of my off-day training as well.

migo

Reaction score
Nova, if you've got time pressures, then you should just go to clean and presses, squats, deadlifts and bench press. This is pretty much the best full body workout, and it's pretty much guaranteed that you will see gains in strength and size.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nova, if you've got time pressures, then you should just go to clean and presses, squats, deadlifts and bench press. This is pretty much the best full body workout, and it's pretty much guaranteed that you will see gains in strength and size.

it's an apartment gym. no barbell, top weight for dumbells is 50 pounds. also, i'm never doing clean and presses on account of my previous back soreness from basketball and volleyball. kind of tough to do your proposed exercise within those constraints.

my current routine does include the bench press on a machine, and the squats with an adjustable pulley system.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
yes and yes, I still do squats and deadlifts but limit the weight after I've gone through a few knee surgeries, though.

I misinterpreted training for a sport as doing a sport. Apologies.

There's something odd about your photos (which I'm willing to bet may be a factor of the camera height and angle) in that your legs look half the length of your torso and your neck looks thicker than your thighs.

I guess it just reminded me of the frat boys in my gym who work their chest and arms in every possible way, add in some shoulder work and stop all back work at shrugs. No doubt because they can see their traps in the mirror. Their backs are weak with little depth and from the waist down they look like Kate Moss.

Anyway, good luck with your program, d.

lefty

this_is_james

Reaction score
I have the same problem as the OP as in I want to focus solely on the chest (my arms are big enough and comparably my chest is too small). I'm going to start using the butterfly machine for chest exercises. I hope it works. Theoretically it should work right? Since not much of the arm is using any force?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads