• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Upper chest exercises

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's kind of amusing how these threads always seem to disintegrate into a smorgasbord of contradictory advice. It goes to show that there is more than one way to "skin a cat". I think the only way to settle this is with a posedown!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Seriously - there is some sound advice here. Experiment with the different techniques and suggestions. Also, if you work out at a gym, observe how "fit people" workout and don't be afraid to ask questions.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just to expound on this, I just finished my workout and experienced zero chest soreness.

Today's workout:

5 x 5 Bench Press @ 315
5 x 5 Dip Machine @ 270
5 x 5 Shrug Machine @ 450
5 x 5 Incline Dumbell Press @ 100 x 2
5 x 5 Wide Grip Bench Press Machine @ 360
5 x 5 Row Machine @ 360
abs

My triceps, on the other hand, are feeling nice.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse, but doesn't it make sense that if you are benching as heavy as you are and feeling it in your triceps (understandably so) you should also feel it in the chest. I understand that heavy chest movements are great for the triceps, as is heavy rows for the biceps, but aren't those movements generally performed to work the chest and back respectively? I have always been under the impression that a slight soreness or tightness in the muscle group you are targeting is a sign that hypertrophy is taking place. However, I could be, and probably am, wrong.

Either way, I'm sure that 315 for 5 reps works just about every muscle fiber in your body!

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Just to expound on this, I just finished my workout and experienced zero chest soreness.

Today's workout:

5 x 5 Bench Press @ 315
5 x 5 Dip Machine @ 270
5 x 5 Row Machine @ 360
abs

My triceps, on the other hand, are feeling nice.

Drizzt have you considered beginning your workout w/ incline bench? Or, what I feel gets the chest going, some flys.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knucks
Drizzt have you considered beginning your workout w/ incline bench? Or, what I feel gets the chest going, some flys.

I don't like barbell incline bench and I switch things up a bit at times in terms of the order. That said, I'm not really looking to get much bigger in the chest at this time, I'm in a cutting phase at the moment, I use quite a bit of rest in between sets, at least two minutes, and mixing in HIIT every other day. So far the cutting has been slow, about a pound a week, but that's ok.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
J
Today's workout:

5 x 5 Bench Press @ 315
5 x 5 Dip Machine @ 270
5 x 5 Row Machine @ 360
abs

d,

why 20 sets of chest exercises and only 10 for your back?

lefty

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
d,

why 20 sets of chest exercises and only 10 for your back?

lefty

Primarily because a lot of those exercises mostly work my triceps. I don't usually do a lot of back exercises in any case, just a few sets.

migo

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been said, this thread has a lot of pages, but here's my advice:

From what I've read, you aren't making chest gains coz your body has gotten used to your workout. The basic rule when you're working out is to switch it up every 2 weeks or so, or your body will get used to the stress you put on it by adapting to it, and then it has nothing to do (so no gains). Try doing your workout in a different order, switching up weights, switching up exercises, etc. Just don't do the same thing over and over for more than 2 or 3 weeks.

A nice alternative is to get onto a bench with dumbells instead of a bar. Apart from being something different, this will actually help you with your bar bench press because it addresses some of the smaller muscle's around your chest because it's less stable. Strengthening these keeps you stable when you're using a bar which means you can concentrate on pressing.

Also, work out with a partner. If you're being spotted, you'll likely push out the last 1 or 2 reps that are the most significant. This way, you'll start getting stronger, and in turn, you'll be able to lift more. Also, you can safely experiment with more weight if you've got a spotter.

Finally, don't over-do the protein. If you're thin, remember you also need a lot of calories, otherwise it's all pointless. Nutrition classes have taught me that you piss out the excess protein anyway. First try eating a lot of protein rich foods before you get on supplements.

Oh one more thing...if and when you do start protein supplements, do not go on a date for at least a week, in fact stay away from people in general. You're going to be stinky as hell.

Good Luck!

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by migo
Not sure if this has been said, this thread has a lot of pages, but here's my advice:

From what I've read, you aren't making chest gains coz your body has gotten used to your workout. The basic rule when you're working out is to switch it up every 2 weeks or so, or your body will get used to the stress you put on it by adapting to it, and then it has nothing to do (so no gains). Try doing your workout in a different order, switching up weights, switching up exercises, etc. Just don't do the same thing over and over for more than 2 or 3 weeks.

Two weeks is a bit too often to switch things up, but you shouldn't do the same weight every workout for many weeks in a row, increase your weights by 5-10lb per week and you will be able to do the same workout for 2 months or so. I suggest 5x5 for 6 weeks followed by 3x3 for 2 weeks, rinse/repeat, or HST.

A nice alternative is to get onto a bench with dumbells instead of a bar. Apart from being something different, this will actually help you with your bar bench press because it addresses some of the smaller muscle's around your chest because it's less stable. Strengthening these keeps you stable when you're using a bar which means you can concentrate on pressing.
Ideally you should do both.

Also, work out with a partner. If you're being spotted, you'll likely push out the last 1 or 2 reps that are the most significant. This way, you'll start getting stronger, and in turn, you'll be able to lift more. Also, you can safely experiment with more weight if you've got a spotter.
Good advice.

Finally, don't over-do the protein. If you're thin, remember you also need a lot of calories, otherwise it's all pointless. Nutrition classes have taught me that you piss out the excess protein anyway. First try eating a lot of protein rich foods before you get on supplements.
40/40/20 is a good ratio to go with, and about 1g/protein per lb of body weight. One thing people don't remember is the thermogenic nature of protein, also. 30% of the energy obtained from metabolizing protein is used in its metabolism, so you only get about 70% of the calories from each gram of protein, or in the end, about 2.8 cal/g net energy.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Primarily because a lot of those exercises mostly work my triceps. I don't usually do a lot of back exercises in any case, just a few sets.

Not worried about imbalance? I've noticed when you post pics your arms are internally rotated which suggests an emphasis on pushing at the expense of pulling.

Just curious.

lefty

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Not worried about imbalance? I've noticed when you post pics your arms are internally rotated which suggests an emphasis on pushing at the expense of pulling.

Just curious.

lefty

No, if anything my back muscles are overdeveloped from years of sports.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't be so sure. I used to think (judging from what I saw in the mirror) that my (upper) back muscles were overdeveloped. The first few days working pullups into my routine proved me wrong.
smile.gif

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

seems unlikely that your back would be overdeveloped, but i don't know enough. i spent 12 years swimming, quitting midway during my freshman year of college, and still try to do the same amount of work to my chest and back.

here's my complete wholebody routine - just what i'm doing right now (just trying to hold steady while working and doing night law), typically M and Th, not including a warmup rep at 50 or 60% the weight that i typically do beforehand. this is just stuff at my apartment's gym room. i'm probably misusing the "superset" term, but i mean is doing a set of one exercise, followed by a set of a second exercise, and then back to the first exercise.

Legs:
3 x 10 at 150 squat on some sort of pulley system (actually, 75 lbs per arm).
3x 15-20 at 250 leg press on some sort of leg press machine (maxed out)
3 x 15-20 at 250 toe press (on the same leg press machine, supersetted with the leg press)
then supersetted hamstring curls and leg extensions, together on a machine
3 x 10 at 130 for hamstring,
3 x 10 at 120 for leg extensions

Back:
3 x 10 at 175 on the lat pulldown (i used to do 3 x 8 to 10 of pullups, but they got rid of that station)
3 x 10 at 145 on the pulley row
(i superset these together)

Chest:
3 x 10 BP at 160 on some sort of bench press machine, but using the military press grips and not the BP grips (i don't know how to better explain it)
3 x 12 at 50 lbs on the dumbell incline press at 45 degrees
(no supersetting here)

Shoulders/Arms - all supersetted:
3 x 10-12 at 45 lbs of dumbell press (form is a little sloppy, just went up from 40 lbs)
3 x 7-10 of 45 lbs of hammer curls with dumbells (form also sloppy here, as i just moved up from the 40)
usually 3 x 10 at 150 lbs of some sort of seated tricep extension machine, only 2 sets yesterday

Abs:
usually 3 sets of 25 ab crunches on a bench set to 30 degrees, none yesterday.

i probably should join a gym, as i'm either maxed out or pretty close to maxed out on what the apt gym can offer (leg press is maxed out, squat on the pulley thing only has 20 more pounds to go, incline dumbell is maxed out).

i did this yesterday (cheated a little and only did 2 sets of the tricep and totally skipped the crunches. and yeah, i should add some cardio. biceps are sore (i move

feel free to comment on this routine...

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long does it take you to go through this routine?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
How long does it take you to go through this routine?

i aim to get it done in an hour... although yesterday took about 70 minutes, i think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics