Upholstering an Eames lounge chair in tweed

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 30, 2008.

1. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

You know how confusing I can be when I talk fast.

2. j

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think it would look great but I'm not sure it's a good idea for an articulated lounge chair (recliner) like the Eames. When you recline from sitting up to the lounging position, your body actually slides a little into the chair, so leather is ideal to allow this whereas a material with strong friction with your clothes would make it a bit uncomfortable. Purely theoretical point of view because I've never tried sitting or reclining in a tweed Eames

4. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I think it would look great but I'm not sure it's a good idea for an articulated lounge chair (recliner) like the Eames. When you recline from sitting up to the lounging position, your body actually slides a little into the chair, so leather is ideal to allow this whereas a material with strong friction with your clothes would make it a bit uncomfortable. Purely theoretical point of view because I've never tried sitting or reclining in a tweed Eames

Turns out it's a non-issue: Herman Miller wll not use fabric supplied by customers unless it's a contract sale.

5. j

Turns out it's a non-issue: Herman Miller wll not use fabric supplied by customers unless it's a contract sale.
    You could still get an Eames chair upholstered by someone else. I don't think it would be very uncomfortable but I do see gdl's point - you'd want a smooth finished fabric to keep from sticking to the chair as you shift around in it.

6. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

I dunno if it's tweed...but it sure makes an impression.

[​IMG]

7. mafoofan

^^^ I would want a traditional-looking tweed that's less bold. But yes, that's the idea. I think a black and white glen plaid could look really nice.

8. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

Eames (alive) never allowed anything but black leather on his lounge chair, I think he was right.

!luc

9. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Eames (alive) never allowed anything but black leather on his lounge chair, I think he was right.

!luc

They, no?

So Mafoo, what are you going to roll in? I think a Jag sedan would be your style.

10. mafoofan

They, no?

So Mafoo, what are you going to roll in? I think a Jag sedan would be your style.

Well, Charles and Ray designed many things together, but Charles was a prominent designer in his own right before they got married. I don't know if the lounge chair was his or their design.

I'd pick a Benz over a Jag for a large sedan. If I were going mid-size, I'd still pick a Benz--at least until the BMW 5 gets a less ugly face. But it's all moot since I can neither afford nor use a car in NYC.

11. freshcutgrass

In this particular case, I don't see any basis to cultivate a purist "black leather only" mantra. I don't think it's true anyway, as early versions were made with Herman Miller's premium tan hides.

12. freshcutgrass

All the moulded plywood stuff was started and their joint venture during the war...long after they were married (how cool is it to have your wedding ring made by Harry Bertoia).

Previous to their marriage, he was a traditional modernist influenced by Mies, Gropius, Corbusier. They first started working together on the MOMA project in 1940, along with Bertoia and Saarinen. She was the painter/sculptor type. It was only after they married that they became the bohemian types...so maybe she was actually the main driving force behind their scultural style?

13. CTGuy

CTGuy Made Guy

Those plycraft chairs are really cool. How difficult would it be to get someone to reupholster an older one? I mean-- ballpark how much might something like that cost?

I think Mafoofan's tweed idea is pretty interesting. I get what GDL says about the leather, but maybe a fabric upholstery would work alright.

14. Luc-Emmanuel

They, no?
    yes, my mistake.

!luc

15. Luc-Emmanuel

In this particular case, I don't see any basis to cultivate a purist "black leather only" mantra. I don't think it's true anyway, as early versions were made with Herman Miller's premium tan hides.
    Either you stick with what the designer envisioned his design to look like, or you don't. Of course, in the end it doesn't really matter if for mercantilistic reasons, your piece is produced in several colours.

!luc