• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Upgrading my club shoes

ManImCool

Reaction score
Longtime lurker. Kinda nervous about my first thread.

Anyways, I'm looking to get a new pair of shoes for going out to clubs. And by club, I mean in the United States. San Francisco. EDM clubs. "Dancing." Jumping up and down. People packed in there shoulder to shoulder. Drinks spilled. Wet floors. People stepping on my feet. From my pre-style forum days, I have this pair of black slip-on square-toe Steve Maddens, oblivious to to how awful they were at the time. I'm in the market for new shoes. I have a couple pairs of AE captoe oxfords and wingtips I use at the office, but I don't want to ruin those in the clubs, plus they feel too stiff for the type of movement my feed would need anyways.

Any recommendations on brands or styles to look for? I'm completely ok with buying used shoes on ebay. I'd actually prefer to get some decent, comfortable shoes that are used, on ebay, pushing the price below $100. Sometimes these hypothetical shoes will be worn with dark jeans and an untucked collared-shirt, other times with slacks and tucked in. I guess I'd prefer black as that'd be more versatile. If I'm going to have one pair of shoes for the club, is black the right color? Or is some sort of dark brown/burgundy more versatile than I think? Since my work shoes are oxfords/have laces I guess I'd prefer some slip-on type loafers. Not old-man style though. Fashion-forward, more sleek/modern types.

So yeah, recommended brands to look for on ebay that are gonna be comfortable for dancing, some sort of grip so I don't slip on some vodka, yet under $100 (used)?

Are shoes with a buckle, kinda like these, acceptable? Or are buckles a faux pas? I just pulled this image from google for the buckle, I'm not looking for comments on the sole/toe shape/quality/whatever. If someone cares, these are Stacy Adams.

Thanks! I've done searches for "club shoes" and of the threads I've found, half of the really dated posts are about people bickering over the definition of the different types of clubs and the types of people found in them.

ManImCool

Reaction score
Is this in the incorrect sub-forum? If so, I apologize and would ask that a mod kindly move it for me!

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear boots out in SF most of the time. Margiela or Guidi usually. It's the right subforum, but almost everyone here dislikes loafers.

Last edited:

ryan chinaski

Reaction score
I wear a pair of Bass Weejuns out. I have the Larson I think. It's a really simple black penny loafer. It also comes in that deep burgundy or a nice brown. You can usually find a pair for under $100 online new. They're made in El Salvador I think so the quality isn't superb but they get the job done and you dont have to worry about them getting trashed. Only issue is they have a leather sole (rubber heel), but you can cap that for pretty cheap if traction is important.

http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Mens-Larson-Penny-Loafer/dp/B001UQ6Z8Y

ManImCool

Reaction score
Well I'm not stuck on loafers, I'm definitely open to suggestions here. I only said loafer because I'm tying my laces to the office every day and was preferring something different.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads