• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

upgrading my blazer, recommendations?

grimstein

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be making a move in a few months and starting a new job. I currently own a couple of blazers (a very casual navy Polo RL and a houndstooth Brooks Brothers) but I would like to pick up a higher quality jacket. Ideally, I'm looking for something that can be warn in a business casual environment, out to dinner, and to clubs/lounges (with a v neck or something along those lines). I was hoping to get some recommendations on colors and even specific jackets. I'm 5'10"/160ish with a slim/athletic build. I'm open to spending up to $1100 if I find something that is really worth it, but would like to stick to the $500 to $900 range.

I'm a big fan of grey houndstooth, but am wondering if the color is versatile enough for what I'm looking for. I'm also open to replacing my navy blazer.

Here's what I've been looking at so far;

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/...D=1000074#fn=spp=15&ppp=96&sp=1&rid=28&spc=71

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Versa...ements%3D&eItemId=prod147080070&cmCat=product

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Versa...ements%3D&eItemId=prod149100118&cmCat=product

http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/p/Ra...3700047%2C&eItemId=prod80620006&cmCat=product

Also, while I'm here... any recommendations on a good pair of $300-$400 shoes that would be good for the same situations?

thanks in advance.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the ones you picked are all terrible.

start again

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably dark gray. Wool, 1- or 2-button, notch lapels, not shiny. 5"10, 160-ish is not a jacket measurement, which along with an approximate location is a reasonable starting point to expect for a specific recommendation.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
^Dark grey is the absolute worst color for an odd jacket. You'd be hard-pressed to make it not look like an orphaned suit jacket.

OP you say you wish to upgrade your blazers, but the ones linked are all likely lower in quality than your PRL and BB ones.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's predictable Style Forum mythology. A soft-shouldered, slim-fit dark gray jacket is unlikely to look like most people's idea of a suit jacket (and even less so if 1-button). Besides, he already has odd jackets in other colors.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[Style Forum posting bug still hasn't been fixed!]

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads