• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Upgrading a factory stereo

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
I did a quick search, but didn't find a whole lot, so here goes nothing:

I have a 2004 Nissan Murano with the factory (non-Bose) system. I like it well enough, and it's mostly filled my needs, but I'm looking at the possibility of upgrading a few other things and would like to improve the system.

I used to be into car stereos, but that was probably a decade ago, and I was more concerned with "bump" than sound quality. I do know that I'd like to keep the factory head unit but I'd definitely like to upgrade the speakers and add a decent sub. I'm looking for something that will allow me a better quality of sound, not necessarily win an SPL contest. Also, I'd like it to keep it pretty affordable (definitely under $1000, preferably closer to $500). I don't need audiophile quality stuff, just an upgrade.

So far I've found the Infinity Kappa and Pioneer Stage 2 stuff, and both seem pretty well liked but i thought I'd poll the fine members here. I've checked some of the car audio forums, but many are either a little too technically inclined, or have very different goals.

Does anyone have any experience with these two brands or have a suggestion for something else I should look into?

Thanks in advance!

bkk

Reaction score
Your #1 problem is likely to be an EQ that the factory head unit has. Its meant to compensate for the crap speakers they provide, and will unnaturally color the sound of an upgraded set of speakers. Find a Murano enthusiasts forum and see if there's a Wiki of sorts for the stereo. It would most likely provide size of speakers, where equipment fits, and any "gotchas" to look out for.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
Your #1 problem is likely to be an EQ that the factory head unit has. Its meant to compensate for the crap speakers they provide, and will unnaturally color the sound of an upgraded set of speakers. Find a Murano enthusiasts forum and see if there's a Wiki of sorts for the stereo. It would most likely provide size of speakers, where equipment fits, and any "gotchas" to look out for.

+1. Good advice.

-LR

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers. I'm a regular visitor to a couple of Murano specific forums, and it seems that replacing the head unit is difficult to a point of nearly impossible. The center dash is one single section with the HVAC, fuel efficiency, and head unit sharing a circuit board. Custom mods have been done to cut apart the circuit board or make adaptations to allow it to be relocated but it's a very involved project that requires a pretty big amount of fabrication. I'm up for major modification on my "fun" car, but this is a daily driver and I can't justify the risk and expense of messing with fairly complex circuitry just to update the head unit. Like I said, it doesn't sound bad and I'm not looking for studio-quality sound, I'd just like to fill out the sound and make it a little nicer. If it were newer or it was my main project car I'd definitely go all out with new fiberglass insert and modded circuitry, but I can't justify that sort of thing on this car. As much as I'd love to change out the head unit, it seems that technology has changed since I dropped a single DIN single CD player in my high school ride! The two speakers I mentioned were ones that I was lead to by going on Murano forums and checking sites (including Crutchfield) to see what would fit with minimal modifications. Almost anything is going to need some adaptation since the non-Bose Murano system doesn't have a separate amp and was not meant to house composite speakers. Those two, though, had the right size of speakers to fit without major door modifications.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk

This.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics