• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Upgrade me!

Toby843

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm trying to slowly put together a decent wardrobe of classic menswear pieces and up my game a bit now I'm in my 40s. I went out for dinner the other night and as I've just moved house I tried to cobble together an outfit. Looking at it now I'm not really keen on how it looked. What should I change in the future. I feel like the belt stands out too much and if I had one I'd have worn a lighter jacket. Any tips?

Attachments

• IMG-20210417-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20210417-WA0022.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that a navy suit or a separate jacket and trousers? It’s not a good idea to pair navy and navy. You’d be better off with gray slacks and a navy jacket.

Overall it’s not terrible. I would say that the contrast between the shoes/belt and the slacks is a bit too much. I know it’s the trendy thing but the trend has worn out it’s welcome. Darker brown would do better.

Toby843

Reaction score
Is that a navy suit or a separate jacket and trousers? It’s not a good idea to pair navy and navy. You’d be better off with gray slacks and a navy jacket.

Overall it’s not terrible. I would say that the contrast between the shoes/belt and the slacks is a bit too much. I know it’s the trendy thing but the trend has worn out it’s welcome. Darker brown would do better.
Yeah it's a separate jacket and trousers. It's the only jacket I have an I felt like the restaurant needed a jacket really. Point taken on that though, I need grey wool trousers as well as the blue ones and I need a few more jackets! Yeah I think the shoes are a great colour but perhaps not with the blue, same for the belt too. Dark brown is the next colour to get in the bank. Awesome, thanks.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's a separate jacket and trousers. It's the only jacket I have an I felt like the restaurant needed a jacket really. Point taken on that though, I need grey wool trousers as well as the blue ones and I need a few more jackets! Yeah I think the shoes are a great colour but perhaps not with the blue, same for the belt too. Dark brown is the next colour to get in the bank. Awesome, thanks.

with lighter gray slacks and that jacket you should be ok. You did well, just a few tweaks needed.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go for darker brown shoes and some grey trousers in place of the blue. That would be a classic ensemble.

adrianvo

Reaction score
I would go with a higher rise on trousers in general. The low rise makes your legs look really short in proportion to your upper body.
Shoes also look kinda big, and Im not loving the colour.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
I would go with a higher rise on trousers in general. The low rise makes your legs look really short in proportion to your upper body.
Shoes also look kinda big, and Im not loving the colour.

The trouser rise was going to be my comment too. There is a sloppy look to the shirt tuck, which I think is a consequence of the low rise. When I switched to higher rise trousers, I immediately noticed that my shirt tucked in more neatly (and I wasn't in danger of running out of buttons in the front before I reached my waistband) and made me look much tidier and slimmer.

Toby843

Reaction score
Brilliant, I've been wondering about higher rise trousers for a bit. I'll have to try and find somewhere to try some on. Great idea.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
Brilliant, I've been wondering about higher rise trousers for a bit. I'll have to try and find somewhere to try some on. Great idea.

I was very skeptical at first and worried about looking costume-y or like an old man, but I've been very pleased with the results so far and haven't felt awkward wearing them at all.

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I am still on the younger side, if took me a long time to embrace high rise trousers. Was also worried about it looking older than I am. Wearing CM in LA at my age already stands out.

But high rise is awesome. Especially if you have a long torso and short legs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads